Dental Health Community
Posterior headache and right earache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Posterior headache and right earache

I had a tooth pulled 7 days ago. It was on the upper right side. This weekend I started getting massive headaches and an earache. The headache is in the back of my head on the right. Yesterday it was all over & even touching the hair on the top of my head put me over the edge. Now it is just on the right posterior. It is almost disabling. Any suggestions? My dentist said maybe he hit a Trigeminal nerve, but I have no other symptoms of that.
What you describe does sound like it could be a trigeminal nerve problem, but I am not sure how your dentist could have hit it....its rather far away anatomy.  I would suggest finding a nerve specialist.

Hope you get better!  Let me know how it goes.
Thank you for responding to me. Someone at work told me I have a dry socket. Is this possible. I told her that I never knew that a dry socket could be causing this type of thing. She told me that she used to work for an oral surgeon & that it most definitely could. I told her that my dentist said that a clot was in there  very nicely and granulation was forming. What is your opinion?
Dry socket usually starts between 3-5 days.  If it started within that time period, it may be a dry socket.  I could not say for sure unless I saw it clinically.  Did your dentist irrigate the socket before looking?  Were you in pain when you went?  I have noticed a lot that food gets packed into sockets and can hide problems, or look like granulation tissue.