Dental Health Community
Pressure and sensitivy after temporary crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Recently had a crown put on top front tooth that had previous root canal, while the dentist was fitting it, he ground off part of the other top front tooth. He decided to put a crown on the other tooth. He prepared it and put a temp crown on. The one that is still alive, is extremely sore to pressure and can feel cold. It has a slight throbbing in it too. Went back told the dentist this, and thought it was bite. Anyways, he took temp crown off for permanent crown, and I about hit the roof. The took was EXTREMELY sensitive to the air, touch, you name it. He had to numb me for the permanent crown. turns out the permanent crown didn't fit right, so Had to be fitted for temp again. Now I am going on 3 weeks with temporary crown on and pressure pain and slight throbbing of the tooth. Is it possible that my tooth will not recover after being filed down for a crown? The tooth was perfectly fine until it was prepped for a crown. I have highly sensitive teeth, I have undergone 3 root canals already and suffer from TMJ. I am leary of getting the permanent crown on if my tooth does not quit hurting even though he said he can go through the back and do a root canal. what are my options? Thank you.
First of all, can you be more specific about why the other tooth was crowned?  From what you wrote, sounds like the dentist screwed up and hit your tooth?

Second, do not ever get a permanent crown cemented when you are that sensitive.  Minor sensitivity with temporaries is normal, but not constant throbbing.
I have a similar question.  On my number 3 molar, I had a cavity that had gotten underneath the filling where it had gotten loose (it was an old filling).  My dentist seemed to think I would be fine with a crown, and no root canal.  Said the root was a bit pink, but no bleeding and no signs of infection.  Placed the temp crown three days ago, and it's a bit sore.  No throbbing, no sharp pain when eating or drinking, no horrific cold sensitivity, etc., but it is what I would call "tender".  Is this normal?  The last thing I want is to get the permanent crown, then need RCT.  If that happens will I lose the tooth, or will they simply drill through the crown to get to the root?