Dental Health Community
Problems after root canal? nerve damage or Trismus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

hi i had a root canal done on my lower tooth #20 i had about 7 shots put on me since i could not get numb in one of the shots i felt a lot of pain and an electrical shock went through my hole face..ever since i am not the same i could not open my mouth only like 1 finger and i felt pain in my hard and soft palate and it was difficult for me to talk properly also i guess because i could not open my mouth right i been to a lot of docs now and most of them say i was hit in the nerve.. I also went back to the dentist that did the root canal and he said it was Trismus but i wounder does Trismus really last a whole month? the other docs think its nerve damage currently taking muscle relaxant's ..i took a full course of antibiotics and a low dosage of steroids since i cant tolerate high doses...its been 1 month now i fell a little better i can open my mouth now like 3 fingers but the sensation in my hard palate and some times under my tongue like a heavy feeling and pain that comes and goes still there ....pls  i need any advice on this.......thanks
I can't really tell you if it's nerve damage or trismus, but when I had three wisdom teeth removed at one time, I couldn't open my mouth any wider than a slice of pizza for over a month.  Mine, too, gradually got better until it was fully resolved at around 6 -7 weeks.

I am SO sorry you are having this.  Trismus can last a month or more, but whether that is all of your problem, I don't know.

I hope whatever it is will resolve itself for you shortly.

Best to you,
Gellia

Best to you,
Gellia
I had a root canal a week ago, my face swelled up and got bruised, I now have trismus.  When I called the dentist, he said it would get better and that the muscles were reacting to the injuction.  I am having trouble opening my mouth more than 2 to 3 fingers width. I have pain in my jaw and face.  I am worried about it.  From what I can find, use warm compresses, use warm salt water and do passive exercises on the jaw.This is not wat i expected.