Dental Health Expert Forum
Prolonged pain after tooth pulled

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Prolonged pain after tooth pulled

Hello, about 9 days ago I went in to have my lower right molars (number 30 I believe) extracted due to pain. Since then the pain has been worse than before I went in to get it pulled. I have been back several times and they tell me it's not dry socket and I have to let the pain pass and perscribed me Tylenol 3.

I guess I am after some sort of idea as to why the pain would last so long, with no end in sight. The only real relief I get is when I draw cold air through the socket, there are no other teeth in that region, they've all been pulled in the past. The pain is definitely sensitive to temperature, even a cold or warm breeze on my cheeck makes a difference. Any advice you can provide would be great.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am stumped. I do not know why you would be getting sensitivity to cold in the socket area. If you did not have the extraction done by an oral surgeon i think you should consult one. If you did then i would think you have to take the doctors advice.
I had the same thing happen to me. Although, when I went to the oral surgeon he packed it anyway like it was a dry socket, and sure enough 3 days later it was better. Call and see if they will pack it for you with their medicine. My regular dentist even gave me some of the medicine they pack it with on the gauze.