Dental Health Expert Forum
Question - mandibular tori trauma after intubation
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Question - mandibular tori trauma after intubation

I have two large mandibular tori (and a palatal tori, too). I had surgery two weeks ago, and got a long cut (more like a long, deep gouge) along one of the mandibular tori from being intubated. The cut has slowly been healing with white granulating tissue being replaced with pink gum tissue, though it has not completely healed yet. I've been trying not to chew on that side, as eating irritates the cut.

My jaw has been aching on that side the last couple of days. I went back to work recently and have to talk a lot (customer service), and I wondered if that has made the gum and jaw swollen. My bite feels a bit off on that side and the teeth ache if I apply pressure, though were not damaged as far as I can tell. I've been trying salt water rinses and a topical anesthetic for canker sores, and taking ibuprofen for the pain.

Should I be concerned about the jaw ache? Is it likely to be local inflammation from the cut healing?
Tags: mandibular tori, trauma, gum, swollen
540545_tn?1377626518
I would recommend seeing a doctor or dentist to evaluate your TMJ.  The fact that the bite feels off may mean that the jaw joint may be slightly dislocated or inflamed, causing some swelling in the joint and some misalign with your teeth possibly.

3 Comments
Blank
Just as an update - it turned out to be a bad canker sore around the cut and a secondary infection. My dentist started me on amoxicillin and I started to see dramatic improvement in about 24 hours. He did xrays to check the root and found that the tooth had been pushed up a bit by swelling, causing the bite to be a bit off.
Blank
540545_tn?1377626518
Great to hear.  Glad it wasn't too serious an issue.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now