Dental Health Expert Forum
Re-aligning top teeth from thumbsucking

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Re-aligning top teeth from thumbsucking

Hopefully this is in the right section..

I'm 22 and sucked my thumb a little too long in life so it left me with my front teeth pushed forward a bit on the top, and pushed back a bit on the bottom. There is no overlapping of the teeth, just a large space between the tips of my top and bottom teeth in the front of my mouth. I can live with the bottom teeth the way they are, it just looks a little crowded, but I'd really like to get the top teeth pulled back and straightened out.
The space isnt huge, but its definately enough to make me self conscious and generally irritating.
I saw an orthodontist when i was much younger, and because of my age at the time I let my mother handle the situation, but I recall him recommending to bring my jaw forward, and I didn't end up having that done.
Is there any alternatives to jaw surgery for re-aligning my teeth? I was told braces can only fix the spacing between your teeth, but not pull them back to fix the alignment..is that true?
Thanks very much.
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The problem is probably a skeletal discrepancy and can not be corrected with orthodontic treatment.I am not an orthodontist so a final determination would obviously have to be made by you and he. I have had patients who have had successful orthognathic surgery.
1 Comment
A related discussion, ? was started.