Dental Health Community
Recent Gold Crown/Filling Sensitivity
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Recent Gold Crown/Filling Sensitivity

Hi,

5 days ago, I had a permanent gold crown cemented on my last bottom right molar (in front of wisdom tooth) and a filling/reconstruction for a cracked corner of done for tooth slightly forward and above the bottom crowned tooth.

While I had temporary, it started to feel like my bite on wisdom tooth behind temporary was off. My dentist said that he thinks the wisdom tooth behind crown tilted slightly while temporary was on, which made crown placement once it arrived tricky (it wouldn't just slide on, so he had to adjust wisdom tooth, I think). After permanent crown was cemented, he adjusted my bite on the wisdom tooth, and it now feels normal. The permanent crown feels *much* better than temporary, and I can chew on it.

However, I now have thermal sensitivity (mostly to cold) on the bottom crown only that lasts about 3 seconds. And I have some general, mild soreness to pressure on both affected teeth--though on top, near filling, the mild pain seems a bit stronger and more generalized to surrounding teeth. It seems to go away on bottom after chewing for a few seconds.

Prior to procedures, top cracked tooth was mostly fine with pain only if I bit just so, every now and then. Bottom tooth before crown prep was same. After crown prep and temporary, bottom tooth felt fine at rest, but I had some thermal sensitivity was unable to chew without pain. X-Rays indicated roots were all healthy.

Is any of this discomfort normal shortly after these procedures? Is it possible ligaments are sore from chewing again over there after 2 months of avoiding it to protect involved teeth? If so, what would that feel like? What should I tell/ask my dentist about this and when?

Thanks for your help!