Dental Health Expert Forum
Red and sore gum area in child

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Red and sore gum area in child

I have a 4-year-old who started to complain that "my lip hurts." Upon further investigation, I found the area at the bottom of his gums, not so much near the teeth, but where gumline meets lip in the front lower bottom is very red and seems to be the spurce of his dicomfort. The lower labial frenum (?) is red and sore as well.  We take good care of his teeth, brushing, etc., I take him to the dentist regularly (next cleaning is in October) and he has never had cavities or gum issues before. He does not have a fever, and ulceration or patches in his mouth that I can see. He does not have a rash on his body or on hands and feet. He seems fine otherwise (other than some sinus issues related to allergies that he is being treated for). Should I be worried about this, and if so, would it be better to see the pediatrician or the dentist? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. MM
I think either would be fine.  But it may be better to see the pediatrician to make sure its not a systemic problem with just symptoms showing up in the mouth.  He may be having cold sores (herpes)?  
Hello. Thank you for the advice. It seems to be clearing on its own. I will mention it to his doctor or dentist on next visit, whichever comes first. I appreciate your time.

MM