Dental Health Expert Forum
Removing new tight immediate denture

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Removing new tight immediate denture

I got my dentures last wednesday. They were left in until yesterday due to the clinic being closed on thursday and friday. When I went yesterday, they had to do injections to numb me to get them out, made some adjustments in the front and sent me home. Last night I tried for 2 hours to get them out. The pain was sooooo bad I scream when one side came loose. I couldn't get them the rest of the way out. I finally left them in overnight again and went back today. They numbed me with topical and took them out. I still screamed in pain. I will have to put them back in tomorrow morning after rinsing with salt water and prescription mouth wash all day and night but I am really scared to try again tomorrow night. A little pain is one thing but I can't take this! Help!
Tags: removing immediate dentures, removing, immediate, dentures, denture, Pain
I'm not sure why its to tight either unless the flanges (the outside rim) of the denture is getting caught along the upper or lower jaw.  You may need to go back to your dentist again and get it adjusted or relined.  They can grind out the inside the loosen it up and then reline the inside of the denture to better fit your mouth.  
That's what I was thinking too but they don't want to adjust on it more and risk making it loose....It feels like it's getting stuck on the ridges on the sides of my gums.