Dental Health Expert Forum
Repeated gum abscesses

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Repeated gum abscesses
My daughter had three fillings in October.  She has developed gum abscesses on all three fillings, resulting in two extraction, with the three abscess just popping up today.  I know that the cavities were not that deep.  Is there any explaination for this occurance?
There's alot of possibilities for the failure of the fillings.  It could have been done poorly, she may be cavity prone, poor oral hygiene, they may have broken, etc.  Since it seems to be occurring all over her mouth, usually a filling may fail but I'd find it very odd that all of them have failed.  Was she difficult during the procedure which may have made it more difficult to place the fillings?  Hows her brushing, flossing, consumption of candy, sugary drinks or juices, etc?