Dental Health Expert Forum
Restoration of a broken back tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Restoration of a broken back tooth

Years ago I had a huge filling in one of my back teeth (tooth number 6 my dentist calls it) leaving just a bare shell of the original tooth. Now the tooth has broken leaving a broken filling and a broken tooth. This isn't causing any pain but it's obviously in a bad condition and needs treatment. I am not biting on it and have a metal taste in my mouth all the time. My dentist tells me the best thing is to have a  gold "restoration". which I think is also called an "inlay" but I may be wrong about that. i.e she removes the remains of the filling, takes a cast, has a gold partial-tooth sort of thing  made to fit and then sticks it to the remains of the tooth.
This is free for me on the UK National Health Service.
What I would like to know is this - is this really the best treatment? because I can't help wondering if it's just what the government is willing to pay for because it's cheap or something?  I can't afford to pay another dentist for a second opinion, please help, informed expert advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am sorry but I would love to help but I can't really give you an opinion not knowing how much tooth structure is left. The one thing I can say is if in fact it is a gold inlay or onlay this is not an inexpensive restoration.
Hello, thanks for that, can you say what difference the amount of tooth remainng will make? because that might help me to compare different options.