Dental Health Community
Root Canal, Two Antibiotics. Draining the pus on infected tooth, Still ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root Canal, Two Antibiotics. Draining the pus on infected tooth, Still in Pain!

Hi - I am writing for my husband. He had a root canal done about two weeks ago on his lower right hand side tooth - second from the back. There was an infection there and the endodontist cleaned it out. They put him on Amoxycillin and then on a stronger antibiotic - Clymo (sorry don't know the name). Yesterday, they opened it up again and there was pus/infection there. They cleaned it out again, stuffed it with bacterial medicine and that was that. More painkillers and three more days on antibiotics! Since they did this last treatment hte pain is really bad and I don't see an end in sight. What do you think is going on? Thanks for taking the time.
I'm no dentist, but something similar happened to me where I had a lot of pain (and swelling) from a tooth on bottom right, a little more to the front of my mouth. To make a long story short, I eventually had to go to the ER, where they made a cut in the gum beneath the tooth to expedite drainage. Immediately tons of pressure and pus were released, and it allowed the infection to heal more quickly and the swelling to go down. Not sure if there is much swelling in your husband's situation, but just thought I'd share in case it'd be of any help. Good luck!