Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal Tooth Still 'Hurts' 6 Months Later

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello.

I had a Root Canal about 6 months ago. The pain is no where near the intensity as it was originally. But it still has a pain in it. It is very uncomfortable, and I am always putting my fingers on it, as it does provide some relief (But that's not effective)  I notive that if I put my finger on the gum above the tooth (all the way up, near the root, I guesS) I feel the pain/numbness the most.  It's very annoying and it doesn't make me feel good.

What should I do? What can it be? I went back to the dentist about 1 month after, and I think he told me to wait it off. I can't really afford to go back to the dentist till January due to maxed out insurance.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like there still maybe a residual infection present. I think the root canal might need to be retreated.
get an opinion from someone else---preferably an endodontist who has nothing to do with the practice you are in now. the tooth may have a fracture or residual chronic infection--more likely the former.
I'm going to the dentist who did it to get my teeth fitted for an appliance for sleep apnea. I will mention it then, if he is no help, then I will get a second opinion from someone else.

Something else that I forgot to mention is that when he did the root canal one of the files broke off. He couldn't get it out, so he told me about it and he left it in. (He didn't want to damage the tooth more by trying to get it out) He said it shouldn't affect the seal.... I completley forgot about that. I'll be sure to ask about that to the dentist and if need be, the person I get the second opinion from.

Do you think this could be part of the problem? I looked up files getting stuck in teeth, and it sounds like it does happen... and everyone makes mistakes, and he did what he could... I'm not the blaming type.