Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal for 6 year old

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root Canal for 6 year old

Just last week I had to take my 6 year old daughter to the dentist for an abcessed tooth. At this time all they did was drill a whole in the tooth and then fill the tooth with some sort of antibiotic filling. She was also put on an oral antibiotic. I was told that withing 10 days she would have to come in and have a root canal done on that tooth. I have never had a root canal but have heard that this can be VERY painful. not to mention expensive. Is this wise to have this done on the baby tooth a 6 year old. Or, would it be better to have it pulled? Having it pulled was not an option offered to us. I just want to know if there is a better way to handle this.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Firstly I do not know which tooth is in question. If it is a baby tooth a full root canal is not done. A pulpotomy is done which takes out only the top part of the nerve. This is a standard procedure for childrens teeth if necessary.I think most of the work was done and I do not think it will be painful. Where the tooth is in the arch and how long it has to remain there before the second tooth erupts is the determing factor that will decide if the tooth is to be saved. If the tooth is extracted prematurely then a space maintainer will need to be placed to conserve the space for the permanent tooth.