Dental Health Community
Root Canal indications/complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root Canal indications/complications

I have a painful tooth/gum next to an upper left molar that had a root canal, implant, and crown over the last year. I remember having pain before (maybe 9 months ago) and I think it was that adjacent tooth, but the dentist who did the crown did not see anything amiss and the discomfort subsided.

My dentist was on vacation when I tried to reach him day before yesterday, and I saw a colleague of his who practices at the Integrated Health ?? of Washington, DC. He told me that most of the tooth below the enamel was rotted away. He is a "holistic" dentist who doesn't believe in root canals, saying they attract bacteria and disrupt the body's "electrical circuitry."

Yesterday I spoke with my primary dentist, who did not see me but referred me to an endotontist. I saw the endotontist late yesterday.  He took an x-ray and said that the tooth had a cavaty near the gum line, but that it was "atypical" and didn't have any defined root canals that he could work on.

He recommended that my regular dentist fill the cavaty and maybe that will solve the problwm. If not, he will try to do a root canal. My regular dentist looked at my old x-rays and told me over the phone earlier today that the tooth in question has strange roots and that the canal(s) appear to be calcified.

So, I have an appointment to have the cavaty filled at 9:30 am tomorrow. What is going on here? I am in some pain and feel that I have an infection. Plus, I am already on Cipro for a urinary infection, and I'm surprised that it hasn't knocked out the tooth infection, at least tremporarily.

(By the way, the alternative dentist told me that the urinary infection and the tooth problem are related. I asked my urologist, and he said that research has shown that bad teeth are statistically related to pancreatic cancer, and he also said it is well known that bacteria from the mouth can easily enter the blood stream--so it's thearetically possible, although he has never heard of that connection.)

I would really appreciate some help on this--what happens if a tooth that needs a root canal can't have one because of its structure? Is it a good idea to fill the cavaty and hope for the best? I don't feel well at all and I need some advice.

Sincerely,

Anonymous
If there are no clinical symptoms of irreversible pulpitis, and electric pulp test tested vital, rct is contraindicated. It appears that root canal is highly calcified, however, if rct is indicated, the endodontist probably will try to negotiate the canal. If the canal is non-negotiable, periapical surgery with retrograde filling is the possible treatment of choice.
i just had a (re)root canal where the bone appears to infected around the tooth.  That evening i spike a 102 fever and had a nasty left side 'stitch' pain that subsided with the decreasing fever in around 48 hours.  It was the left upper second molar (14?).  

The irony is that i was on amoxycilin for a week prior to the root canal (dentist held me over until i could get to the endodontist).  

I am active, 50, male, distance runner and distance biker and feel these are related to a persistent tooth infection.  I have also lost noticable endurance over the past months.  

There is very little to support my assumptions on the internet although an old term "focal infection" seems to be a system that may be at work here.