Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal question

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root Canal question

Hi, I just recently found out that I'll need to either get a root canal done on my #14 Molar tooth (third molar back on left side).  I don't have insurance so that procedure is going to cost me $775 out of pocket.  I can pay it for the most part.  But I'm concerned about the tooth not fully taking to the root canal.  And the $775 only covers the Root Canal, not the cap.  I'll need to go back to get my cap done at my dentist.  So I was just wondering if it would be best to get the Root Canal done or get the tooth extracted? I'm only 21, so I don't want to go the rest of my life without the molar tooth (which is the side I chew on more).  
Get the root canal done and definitely put a "cap" on it.  Its ideal to try to keep your teeth for as long as you can.  As for the risk of the root canal, I can't say what the percentage of success will be in your particular case but if you found a good dentist, hopefully everything will turn out great and it'll last you quite a long time although probably not a lifetime.  I would say optimally it may last 30-40 years.