Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal vs Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root Canal vs Extraction

I have a molar (#19) that has been missing a filling for about a year. Last filling was told tooth was drilled "as deep as it can go w/o root canal". It appears to be down to the pulp now. Tooth has gone from 'tender' to 'extremely sore' and back again. After going to another dentist recently, he reccommended a root canal with (reconstruction?) crown. I've noticed that all dental websites recomend root canal over extraction, but my question is as follows:

Since I am not the model patient that takes immaculate care of my own teeth, what would be the long term effects of an extraction, besides the obvious loss of tooth. Due to economic reasons, I am leaning towards an extraction, but honestly would like to keep the tooth. I can finance the root canal/crown, but the problem in the back of my mind is; after I commit to the cost factor, what would be the odds of my retaining the tooth with my dental habits (brush fairly daily and do not floss). I've had too many people tell me over the last couple days that they had a rct/crwn done, only to have the tooth removed in about a year. With my habits, am I a candidate for the same results, or is a rct/crwn more reliable than I am led to beleive.

Thanks You

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think it should be a rare occurence that a patient loses a tooth which has had rct and a crown placedwithin a year. I as a dentist would certainly be disappointed if that transpired.
. It does not seem to me that you are the type of person that neglects yourself and the type of oral hygiene you practice would not cause the loss of that tooth if you were somewhat deligient with your homecare. That being said if you chose to extract the tooth you would have to be concerned with the adjacent teeth shifting. At times because of the position of these teeth the shifting would not occur and the tooth would not have to be replaced. Your dentist could give you a better idea about the possibilities.
if you are stating that you will not take care of your teeth, then have it extracted. crowned teeth require flossing. perhaps its better to fix it and take care of it. to answer your question: when you have a tooth removed and not replaced with a bridge or implant, other teeth shift and and eventually you may have many other problems. #19 is one of the for most important teeth in your mouth (1st molars). if this is the only bad tooth in your mouth, you should change your behavior and fix it. if you have other involved teeth, then you need to have a full treatment plan presented to you so you can decide what is most important and addressthose matters first, considering your economical situation.
Hi I'm only 25 & have had a root canal that lasted a few years then I kept having pain, no xray ever showed anything wrong well I finally went to the oral sur. to have it removed b'c I knew something didn't feel right. At the oral sur. office they did about 6 xrays looked as though the tooth was fine, then he mashed on my gums around the tooth til blood came out, then he realized there was a prob. he numbed me up then said he'd look & if it could be saved he'd wouldn't pull it. Next thing I knew he said there was HUGE whole once he had my gum pulled away from the tooth so of course it needed to be pulled. Also I 4got to add it had hurt for over a year when I would try to floss in btw this tooth & the one in front of it. So anyways he pulls the tooth I'm glad to have this behind me now, only to find out 2wks later when my tongue touches my last tooth on the back side it has a hole, so I had to have a big filling in what is now my last tooth on the left upper side. :( So I ruined another tooth by trying to save another one.

Crowns have to be flossed everyday, if you don't want to do that then I wouldn't waste my $$$$$ on it. I had a r/c, then the crown then had to have it pulled (not to mention all the xrays I had complaining that it hurt toooooo bad to floss in btw those 2 teeth, & the xrays showing nothing for years)plus it almost made the other tooth have to get a r/c.

I've had another root canal & it has done fine so far, so you never know, but flossing is the key.  If you choose to have it pulled get the laughing gas (here it was only $30 more) it wasn't bad at all :) I think it costs me about $130 then the mouth wash was about $20.

If you $$$ for the r/c please remember to floss everyday so you won't endanger the tooth beside it, a crown doesn't go all the way down so food gets trapped all day long under it!!!!! Good Luck!!!
Root canals are BAD!!!!!!!! The tooth dies.  There will always be infection and leaking no matter how much you take care of your teeth.  If your immune system is strong your body can handle the toxins.  However, if you get sick and the bactera leak into your mouth, you will only get more sick.  The bactera will always be there remember that.  I had a root canal when I was 13.  I am now 26 and had to have my tooth extracted.  I have been sick for years becouse of the bactera leaking into my mouth.  I was always tired and always caught "the bug" going around etc... My immune system (white blood cells) were busy fighting off the bactera from the root canaled tooth, therefore I became ill.  I am a pre-med student and I have spent allot of time researching this.  So, please trust me. Yes, your teeth may shift if you have it extracted however, you can get a bridge.  That is much better than being sick all the time trust me.
After my extraction I felt like a different person.  I am well now.  I spent years going to the doctor and none of them could figure out what was wrong with me.  All along it was my root canaled tooth.
Wow. Thank you for your comment I found that info really helpful. I'm glad your well now. And guess what I think ill just have my molar extracted. Here goes...