Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root Canal

I had a root canal done 2 weeks ago. Currently the tooth is still feeling the same as it did prior to having the root canal done. Most of the pain is close to the gumline. I had called the endodontist 1 week after the procedure to ask if the pain was normal and he prescribed an antibiotic concluding that maybe there was some infection and this would clear it up. I am on my last days worth of antibiotic and the tooth still feels the same as it did prior to the root canal. Is this normal? Will the pain gradually go away or should it already be gone. I can't seem to be able to get this answer from either the endodontist or my dentist. Should I be worrying or is it normal for the tooth to still feel the same as it did prior to the procedure?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
At some point the tooth should start feeling a little better. What type of temp or filling do you have? What type of restoration is planned after the rct was completed? Can you bite on the tooth--was the tooth taken out of occlusion so you can't bite on it? These are some of the questions that you ask the dentist. If the pain doesn't subside after a round of antibiotics then I think you need to get more definitive answers and maybe a second opinion.
it sounds like there is a possibility that you have a fracture in the tooth below the gumline. if the tooth was properly taken out of occlusion, and the root canal done well, and if you and your dentists are sure the tooth that was treated is the culprit, then unless there is stubborn infection, or a fracture, the tooth should be feeling better. i certaily would not at this point invest any more $ or time on this tooth until it stops bothering you. ask your dentist about these possibilities. you can't usually see a hairline crack in a tooth, especially below the gumline where you must rely only on an x ray. if its cracked, it will likely need to be removed
Sometimes no matter what they do- they miss something...
Root canals harbor bacteria and i notices i had 7 of them - from different dentists and it still failed.
i stayed sick until the tooth was pulled. swollen gland in the neck fevers....
go to google.com and type in "the root canal cover up" and read the article a few doctors wrote.
Take my word for it.
Just pull them and  wear a denture or implant.
they are hell of a lot of less trouble and your sickness will go away.

***@**** if you wish to e-mail me back on this.

I have had nothing but trouble with root canals and felt sick until they were pulled .           And, i had experts  do my root canals.
It didn't matter. I always get sick and they need to get pulled.
look up glossodynia also lupus