Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root Canal

I just a had a root canal a few days ago because my tooth was infected. I am five months pregnant and I'am worried that my root canal went wrong. Because I'am still hurting and I can't hardly move my mouth. My husband has had a couple of root canals and he thinks they should of gave me the antibotics first because my tooth was infected when they were working on it and he does'nt think it should hurt. But it actually feels worse now than it did before. Am I suppose to feel this pain still?
If a root canal was done, sometimes there's some post-operative discomfort with the treatment.  I would advise you go back to your dentist to check to see if theres any problems because the pain should improve rather than worsen.  The antibiotics may be necessary but it depends on the extent of the infection.  The antibiotics would help with maintaining the spread of infection but it is definitely not the cure for it.  The root canal should have cleaned your canals of your tooth out to help your body remove whatever infection is left and that should help with the pain, as well as removing the infected nerve in the tooth.