Dental Health Expert Forum
Root Canaled tooth really sore/achy everywhere, why?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Had root canal done through crown 8mths ago after experiencing cold sensitivity extreme.  Started hurting beneath it and up into lower jaw, up to ear.  Didn't hurt to chew on it, but now it does, (after 6wks). Dentist took out of occlusion, been back to endodontist, he says root canal looks good on xray.  Have been on Penicillin 500 for 5 days, pain subsided, but came back.  I am a clencher and grinder, and wear a nightguard.  Went to TMJ specialist, and he thinks since it hurts on upper, then lower and into jaw, that possibly the ligaments of the root-canaled tooth are inflamed, from grinding/clenching on it.  He took nightguard out of occlusion(small amt).  He put me on motrin 800/3 times day, and a muscle relaxant to sleep with.  Told me not to chew on that side either.  I have had some relief about 5%, but tried a small amt of chewing on it and caused flair/soreness of pain.  I go back to TMJ specialist in two wks.  Endo said he would redo root canal, but he didnt' think it necessary.  Any idea of why this is happening?  If it is ligaments?, how much pain does one experience with this and how LONG?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like you have gone and done the correct things. I am not sure I can add anything more to what you have already heard.I would consider the pericementitis(inflammation of the fibers) or that there is a residual infection still present or even the possibility that there is an accessory canal present which can not be negotiated.I am sure your endodontist has considered these possibilties.At this point the amount of discomfort you are experiencing will determine the course of treatment.
could be the ligament around the tooth-- could be a fracture in the tooth. But the endodontist is probably best qualified to judge. root canal teeth are weird birds sometimes. It is not always possible to tell from an xray or a clinical exam why it is acting up. IF I were you I'd get another (unbiased) opinion from a different endodontist (who does not know the first endodontist).
If it is ligaments of the tooth, what would the symptoms be?  and how is one to heal the ligaments?  If they redo the rootcanal, would this make the ligaments even more upset?  or resolve the problem?  
if the canals were filled too long (overfill) the ligament around the tooth can be irritated. another thing that makes the ligament irritated is if the bite is high--and even after it is adjusted it may take some time to settle down. If the root canal wasnt done well the tooth can be tender. this is why I suggest you get another opinion from another endodontist. Not all root canal procedures are the same. there are good endodontists and not so good endodontists. when the ligament is irrsted, to answer your question, patients do not usually have spontaneous pain-- usually the involved tooth is very tender to touch and panful to bit on. Get another opinion---from someone totally unrelated to your general dentist or your endodontist. Ask for an explanation, and keep asking questions till you understand. that's my advice.
I am having the same problem. I had a crown prep that turned in to a root canal. weeks after the root canal i still experienced pain in the jaw line around the tooth. went back for a second root canal. weeks later still pain. they though it might possible be a crack in the root. so I had the tooth extracted. week later, STILL pain in the jaw line around the extracted tooth and now in my jaw joint. I now think it must be an infection in my jaw bone from the original root canal.
I am convinced that this is an infection either in the root canaled tooth, or one above it, or next to either tooth.  I am taking 800 ,motrin to control pain, never really goes away, and now i am running a fever....wouldn't that lend itself to infection....that has been there for 7 wks now?