Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal - tooth still sensative to cold water

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a root canal done last Friday (4 days ago) because my upper back tooth was hurting from cold water.

It wasn't hurting anymore from cold drinks until today. There is a temporary cap on it until i go back 2 weeks from Friday and get my permanent seal on it.
I did nick that tooth/gum last night when I was eating tortilla chips, and it kinda hurt a bit after because (but mostly my gums where i think i nicked it).

i thought my dentist took out my nerves in that tooth so you can't feel anything anymore?
So why is it still sensitive to cold liquids? (it wasn't after i got my temp on, until yesterday)

when i get my permanent cap on, will i still have sensitivity to cold liquids???????

Usually there's no sensitivity from the tooth after a root canal.  Sometimes you can have soreness from the root canal itself.  The gums may be irritated or inflamed from the temporary.  The new crown should fix that problem.  Try to clean the area well and see if the sensitivity goes away.
also to note, i looked  inside my mouth yesterday and it looks like my inside cheek is kinda red and sore and it looks as if there is a small GAP between my temporary cap and my gums on the inside of my mouth...and that is where i think the cold water is entering in and causing pain still :(

but i thought my dentist took out my nerves in that tooth so it wouldn't hurt anymore??
Thank you.

But, when I deliberately drink something cold and move that liquid to the area where the root canal was done, it still causes pain (sensitive to cold water still).

How would my dentist account for this?

Only reason being, right after my root canal, and up to 3 days after, i did the same thing with putting cold water in my mouth, and NO pain. Now, it seems like its becoming sensitive to cold water again, but maybe because theres water entering back under my temporary cap again???
Water underneath the cap shouldn't cause sensitivity cause the tooth has no nerve and thus no sensation.  My guess is that its the gums cause that's still alive and functioning normally.  The temporary may be irritating the gums.  A new temp may fix the problem as well.
Thank you Jerome.

I talked to my dentist and am going to see him in a few days and he will either give me a new temp or fill in the "gap" thats between the temp and my gums...do you think this will seal it back up and not cause any more sensitivity?
ALSO, will my permament cap solve the same problem?

he stated it might be the tooth next to the tooth i had the root canal done on...any insights?
thanks for your time -
that is my last question...

???
Filling the gap may or may not solve the problem.  If there's food impaction or cement stuck in that area, it can cause problems.  A new temporary would probably be better but would take more time.  A permanent crown should solve the issue.

Your dentist is guessing that the pain may be coming from another tooth.  Its possible but seems more unlikely only cause the pain started after placement of the temporary, which leads me to believe its the temporaries fault, not the other tooth but it could happen coincidentally.