Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal & crown still hurts 6 mos. later

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a root canal done in June with crown to follow in July (2007).  I had hoped it would settle down after a while, but it continues to hurt.  At first it was just some gum irritation around the crown.  It has grown to nagging pain with sensitivity to cold and hot.  It doesn't hurt to bite down.  I've been back to the dentist for cleaning in Nov. and he said to give it some more time.  I went back again about 3 weeks ago because the sensitivity started.  He took x-ray and said it looked fine and give it more time.  I'm beginning to think the crown just doesn't fit right and is causing the problems.  It's now difficult to tell if its the tooth or gum that's painful.  why would the tooth hurt after a root canal unless there is a root that wasn't extracted?  I know there were two removed during the root canal.  It's on the lower left jaw, second tooth from the rear (wisdom teeth gone).  Should I get an endodontist to look at it?  What should I tell my dentist who did the root canal and crown?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If the pain persists you can the dentist the truth that you are still having discomfort and that you are seeking out another opinion.I am sure the dentist is only interested in your welfare, or at least he or she should.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Still Experiencing Pain After Crowns and Root Canals was started.
A related discussion, crowns was started.
A related discussion, broken tooth, crown and then root canal was started.