Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal & crown still hurts 6 mos. later
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Root canal & crown still hurts 6 mos. later

I had a root canal done in June with crown to follow in July (2007).  I had hoped it would settle down after a while, but it continues to hurt.  At first it was just some gum irritation around the crown.  It has grown to nagging pain with sensitivity to cold and hot.  It doesn't hurt to bite down.  I've been back to the dentist for cleaning in Nov. and he said to give it some more time.  I went back again about 3 weeks ago because the sensitivity started.  He took x-ray and said it looked fine and give it more time.  I'm beginning to think the crown just doesn't fit right and is causing the problems.  It's now difficult to tell if its the tooth or gum that's painful.  why would the tooth hurt after a root canal unless there is a root that wasn't extracted?  I know there were two removed during the root canal.  It's on the lower left jaw, second tooth from the rear (wisdom teeth gone).  Should I get an endodontist to look at it?  What should I tell my dentist who did the root canal and crown?