Dental Health Community
Root canal & crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Root canal & crown

I had a cap put on and it ended up needing a root canal about a week later. I had the root canal done on 3 roots and the tooth was recapped. Since then, I've had sensitivity that my dentist says is because of my bite. Every time I get my teeth cleaned he grinds more off. Now it is extremely sensitive to heat and cold but more to heat. Should it be removed and done again? I do beleive that it was not done correctly in the first place. It was very expensive and I don't think I should have to pay anything. Do you?

This discussion is related to Heat sensitive crown; jaw achey (achy).
most often heat sensitivity is due to infection or an incomplete root canal BUT i have had the same problem as you and it is not an infection and four roots were removed. i have a root fracture. i have had the tooth and the pain for around five years. the dentist said that someday it will probably fracture further and cause a bunch of pain or get infected and i will have to have it pulled. mine was expensive too and i am keeping it as long as possible. if there is doubt you should have it checked. it might have a missed canal or piece of tissue. unfortunately most dentists have you sign a disclaimer that you understand all the things that could go wrong. sometimes its impossible to have a perfect root canal since so many things can happen while the dentists in your mouth. its very hard to prove that the problem is caused by negligence on the part of your dentist. the bottom line is you paid for the first one and if you have another you will pay again and second ones are usually more expensive. theres a chance that the second one wont eliminate your pain. good luck with whatever you decide!