Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal infection under post and crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I have an infection in the base of a root canal that was filled about a year ago.  The tooth also has a post and crown that supports a bridge, and there is some swelling of gum tissue surrounding the bridge.  What are the options for dealing with this situation, other than redoing the root canal (and post/crown/bridge) and hoping the canal does not become infected again.  I am concerned about the prevalence of root canal infections and their potential as source of other problems throughout the body.  Also, should I expect the original dentist to discount the work, or accept that root canal is a tricky business and that a dentist cannot be held responsible for infections that appear soon after a root is filled?  (By the way, based on a recent x-ray, it doesn't appear that the root canal procedure was incomplete...)

Avatar_dr_m_tn
My first option would be to retreat the rct. If that is not successful you will lose the bridge and that sets up a whole different scenario.The dentist can not be held responsible for a recurrent infection on a root canal tooth.I might consider seeing an endodontist for the retreatment.There is also the option of doing surgery(apicoectomy)but I do not feel the percentage of success is worth it.
Go to an endodontist for your root canal. Believe me, it will be quicker and more thorough. Any time a root canal is required on a tooth that has either a crown or bridge, an endodontist is necessary. You've got some expensive pontics in your mouth and an endodontist has the equipment to work through it.
I had a root canal and it became infected under the crown.  The canal then became abcessed and spread to my neck and jaw.  I let a dental surgeon pull the tooth and have been on antibiotics 3 times now to clear up the infection. Please don't let it go....Go to a specialist and they can prescribe the correct anitbiotics for you.  My infection was in my tooth for over 2 years and I'm probably still going to have to go and have the canal where the post and crown were AND the jaw bone scraped!!  Don't wait!!