Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal pain after 8 months

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root canal pain after 8 months

About 8 months ago I had a root canal on #8 (the RCT was done not because of infection, but because of pain after an old filling was replaced). There was initially a lot of pain and the endodontist retreated the tooth and re-disinfected it before it was filled.  Although there was still some discomfort a couple of weeks later, the endodontist completed the root canal (I have a feeling this wasn
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The answer to the last question is no. I think you should try to save the tooth. As far as retreating the endo or the apico that would be at the discretion of the endodontist. I do believe that you need to be taken out of pain however that is accomplished. Then the question of whether you should get a second opinion? I never dissuade any of my patients from a second opinion--the question comes about if you get a totally different view point from another endodontist. At that point you would have to consider a third opinion. In your case I do not think that is going to happen--it is retreat the endo or the apico. I am also inclined to have you see an oral surgeon for the apico. But that is one mans opinion.
Thanks very much.  I think I'll see a different endodontist just to get another opinion.  Just curious, are oral surgeons generally better qualified than an endodontist to do an apicoectomy?  Most endodontists seem to say they do the procedure as part of their practice.

I recently had a cavity on a lower molar which caused pressure related pain (not hot and cold sensitivity); this resulted in nerve damage which led to the canals being cleaned, pain reduced and a temp filling placed on top. I was also given amoxicillin course with and Advil 600mg for five days. Two weeks later although the pain has been reduced it has not completely gone.

I am studying dentistry and I think the cause is due to the canals not being cleaned properly to the root tip? I am well informed that I need a root canal to complete the treatment and there are no complications with the x-rays therefore do you think it's better for me to go to an endodontist as regular dentists are not using an apex to measure the canals?