Dental Health Expert Forum
Root canal tooth hurts

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Root canal tooth hurts

I had a root canal on my upper right molar (2nd from where my wisdom teeth would be) and a crown put on.  Ever since I had it done which was about 7-8 years ago it has been sensitive to cold/hot, and the gum above it also hurts as well.  My dentist has taken numerous x-rays and says all looks normal and says its more than likely sinus issues.

I do have allergies year round and the sinuses around my cheek bones hurt when my allergies act up.  I had a CT of my head which included my sinuses and the CT report came back clear, but an x-ray done by my allergist said they are white.  

I dont know whats going on since my dentist says theres nothing wrong but this tooth hurts.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You could always seek a 2nd opinion.  You shouldn't live with pain.  A root canal treated tooth should not be sensitive to hot and cold.
I'm 25/f and I have 3 children.  Dont know if this has any bearing on my situation.

Thanks :)

I have basically the same situation on the same tooth, only I had a root canal done with a crown (second crown). I had this done about 4 years ago.  I started with pain with heat and it has now turned to cold,air and just randomly.  The gum above the tooth has also become sensitive. When I had the heat sensitivity, it seemed to spread like a wave of pain deep in the tooth. I went to the dentist the other day and had an x-ray done and he didn't find anything.  He advised me to have another dentist examine it and have a deep cleaning and have them put an antibiotic in the deep crevice between the two back teeth to heal what he thinks is a gum infection problem.  I am now taking 500mg of Cipro which I have on hand.  It's not old  and I don't see a problem with it.  So, I thought in a few days I will see how the pain is and make an appointment to have a deep cleaning.  

Sorry for all the history, I felt compelled...lol. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is go to your dentist and see what they recommend.  The dentists on this site will answer your question and then you will know what your next step should be.

Good luck and God bless
Thats the thing, the dentist says its not my tooth causing the pain.  I dont know where to go since my CT scan was normal.

Sigh..  

If I have my pain after I have the deep cleaning then I am going to  an endodontist.  There are so many things that our problem could be. Dentist don't know as much as endodontist when it comes to root canals and issues with that tooth after the RC.  I was looking online to see what I could find out. And also on this site to see what I could find.  Try it....you might find something that you can do or at least go to an endodontist and ask some things you learned online.  We have to find out what this is.  If I find out before you do I will let you know and if you do ...please post it here so all of us in pain can find out what to do.  Thanks.
have any of your doctors. suggested it could be nerve pain suc as atipacal neuralgia?  It seems when I paosted similar symtoms (symptoms) that you describe,  many coments suggested they had similar problems and it was nerve pain.  All I can say is DO NOT let anyone extract you tooth without positive evidence that this will resolve the pain.  God bless and best of luck.