Dental Health Community
Root damage during orthodontic treatment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

My daughter is 12 and had some mandibular crowding when orthodontic treatment began 4 months ago and central incisors formed slight v shape but small amount(approximate 1 mm) space between canines/premolar on both sides. After 1st appointment, right side had powerchain to close space but not the left.  At the second appointment, the ligature was left off the left central incisor bracket because it was difficult to put on and so the tooth started to drift slightly behind other incisor.  Last appointment an open coil (?-I think) spring was used to open space and assistant used so much force daughter left office with about 2 mm space between central incisors and was crying from pain of this procedure.  This was 5 weeks ago, pain subsided after 4-5 days.  Should I be concerned with very rapid movement and high force level?"

Avatar_dr_f_tn
A clinical examination is extremely important before advising accurately for your symptoms. The pain has subsided as you said but what about the 2mm space left? Has it closed or is it still there? If there is still any space left or if it has widened I will advise you to see your dentist. You seem to be doubtful about root damage due to the force. It is best to discuss your concerns with your dentist and if required an X-ray may be helpful in detecting. Do write to me again with more queries.
Best luck and regards!