Dental Health Community
Salivary gland

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Salivary gland

After dental prep work for a bridge, the saliva in my mouth increased.  It was bothersome but bearable.  After the permanent bridge went it, it either got worse or stayed about the same (not exactly sure).  A little over a week later, I had acupuncture done for sinus headaches, and the saliva flow increased even more (not to the point where I was drooling, but definitely to the point where I noticed it all the time and was constantly swallowing).  Is it possible that the acupuncture procedure overstimulated the glands?  I'm looking into the possibilty also that there might me nerve damage, but that's another forum.  

Since the problem was already there before the acupuncture, I'm not sure if the increase saliva was caused by my dentist doing the prep work.  Is it possible he damaged the parotid duct?  The bridge was to cover tooth #14.  Is it possible that I was having some sort of allergic reaction to the bridge?  That was my initial thought, so I asked him to remove it and he said he'd cut it back to the crowns.  I'm currently still waiting for the crowns to come back.  I have a silver cap on tooth #15 (which I've had many times on other molars) and an acrylic cap on tooth #13.  The saliva flow has decreased somewhat, but it isn't back to normal.  I'm skeptical about having them put back in if it was an allergic reaction, but since everything still isn't back to normal, I just don't know what to do about those crowns.  I'm taking some prescription medication my GP gave me to dry up my mouth.  Without it, I find that I have difficult speaking because there is more than normal saliva in my mouth.  When I asked my dentist to check my salivary glands the day he removed the dental bridge, he actually looked at me and said "You want me to do what?  Check your salivary glands?"  He was so rude.  He just looked in my mouth and said "They look fine to me."  I understand that this is a very strange story, but that doesn't mean I should be dismissed.  I am looking for answers because this has been going on for three weeks, and I just want things to go back to normal. This is affecting my job and my personal life, as well as my sleep.  The saliva flow tends to increase in my mouth and it's all I think about.  Who can I go to, since my dentist is no help, to have my salivary glands checked to see if the saliva flow is normal or not?  Who can I go to to find out if I have some sort of parotid gland nerve damage?  Any help or suggestions you can give me will be welcomed.  Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.  
Seeing an oral medicine specialist is advised.
Thanks for the comment.  I am going back to my dentist today to get the crowns put back in my mouth, and I'm going to ask him to look one more time.  If he just dismisses it again, I'm going to go to an oral surgeon.  This isn't normal, and I'm tired of it consuming all of my time and energy.  I want my life back the way it was.