Dental Health Expert Forum
Severe Pain after putting on Permannent Crown

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi, Well.. to begin with..I went to a New Dentist, and after having 3 fillings and Pain while doing so, as she kept hotting nerves and not numbed enough (never ever had that problem before).   I was obviously completely stressed from this.  She put a PERM CROWN on one of the teeth... I told her that it was still hurting, like a cavity hurts.  She said it was basically in my head.  That it is normal to have some pain.  I stated this before the crown after the Prep for the Crown, and after the crown was placed.  I even called the office 4 weeks later.  It has been consistent and now so very severe...Is this common to have this?  Do I need a root canal?  I have spent Thousands of Dollars at her office and follow ups with an Endodontist AFTER every single one of her Fillings.. Almost 3-5 months after 2 of the fillings; I had to have Root Canals on the very teeth she filled.  

What is the deal here?  Does it now sound like I may need yet ANOTHER Root Canal?  How can this happen?  Why would a Crown be placed after I stated this over and over again?    
Tags: crown
1 Comment
I am going through the exact same thing right now. I have worked in dentistry for 15 years. Nine of them was in endodontics (root canal). Unfortunately when a tooth needs a crown its usually because it has had some big fillings and could fracture so they recommend crowns. Because you were experiencing discomfort when she was preping the tooth she should have just left the temp crown on and watied to see if the tooth calmed down. Many times preping a tooth for a crown will cause trama to the tooth and the nerve. Most will settle down after awhile. Some don't. I can't tell you how many root canals we did on people who just had crowns put on their tooth. Right now as I write this the whole side of my face is throbbing shooting right into my ear. Even my neck feels sore. Since there is a crown on the tooth it is really not sensitive to hot or cold so I can't tell. I did push on the gum above the tooth and I could feel the pain radiate into the jaw and ear. My tooth is the top first molar on my right side. Even my lower jaw is hurting. This is called referred pain. When it really gets going you don't know where the dam pain in coming from. Here is the funny part. I have never had a tooth ache in my life so I have nothing to compare it too. I actually thought I had an ear infection, but I don't. It's really not the dentist's falt since she has no way of knowing whether the nerve will die in the tooth crown or no crown. The only lousy thing is now if you decide to have the root canal they will have to drill through the crown, or if you had known you may have opted not to have the crown and just pulled the tooth. I'm really pissed because I just put $700.00 out for the crown and now I will need a root canal if I want to keep the tooth. You have to understand that you are alwasy taking a risk when replacing teeth with deep fillings. I have also seen root canals fail and need surgery to repair the end of the root. So You have a person that goes in to have a crown put on, shortly after the tooth starts throbbing and they need a root canal, then after the root canal the tooth becomes infected again becasue there is still tissue in the canal that can't be removed without a surgical proceedure. By the time the person is done they have spent about 3-4 thousand on one dam tooth. Then the next issue would be after spending all that money the tooth fractures and it has to be pulled. Then ther is more money to decide wheter you want an implant for a bridge. Now the above doesn't happen often but it can happen. Personally if this tooth needs a root canal and I think it does, I am probably just going to pull it. There is one other possibilty. The nerve is dying and it may eventually stop hurting and just sit there for a very long time without forming an abcess (abscess).