Dental Health Community
Severe ear and jaw pain after molar filling replaced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

16 days ago a silver filling from 15 years ago came out of my upper right very last molar.  I went to the dentist to have it replaced and they drilled out what was left of the silver filling and refilled it with composite. I have had severe migraines on the right side of my head since the day after and my jaw has felt very bruised since then.  The tooth is sensative to hot and cold but the pain is not camparable to what i feel in my jaw when I chew or talk.  4 days ago i woke up with my ear drum pounding.  i had temp of 100 and thought I had an ear infection so i went to  a ME.  The ME found no infection in my ear but did say the glands on the right side of my face and there was inflamation (inflammation) in my jaw.  The pressure was making my right eye weep tears.  The doc thought i had an infection of some kind and gave me a strong antibiotic and some vicadin but it still hurts very bad in my ear and jaw.  What could have happend to cause me pain for this long?

This discussion is related to Severe tooth, jaw, face pain after minor filling - 2nd Opinion?.
Going back to your dentist to have occlusal adjustment is advised.
i have very much the same problem.  About 3 weeks ago, i had several old fillings replaced with composite and since then have had pain in addition to sensitivity to both hot and cold.  In addition, I've developed jaw pain in addition to some ear pain.  While it's a great diet aid as I don't want to eat, the pain is terrible. I told my dentist and he suggested occlusal adjustment.  I understand this is done for TMJ but this was never an issue for me prior to the fillings.  How would this help with pain after the fillings? Thanks.
I so feel for you, I have now had 4 root canals and crowns thanks to composite fillings.  I had many old fillings, and when i replaced the first one i had "phantom" tooth pain, jaw pain.  No problem on the tooth itself but they called it TMJ, months later in severe pain and at the ER they said you feel it in your jaw but it's a root.  The best endodontist explained how white fillings leak often and cause such pain often reflecting from the tooth but not on it.  As soon as he got the root out i was out of pain.  Since then THREE different dentists have insisted on repairing fillings that were old due to bacteria concerns.  All 3 used composite and shortly after all 3 needed root canals, including the one today.  I am tired of this composite material, it is not as effective as amalgum and has cost me thousands of dollars in root canals and crowns and frankly the silver was probably never "that" bad.  It's a business, so be careful.....so sorry for your pain.  I don't think you have TMJ, i was told that EVERY time and it was my root, composites are horrible.

I see that this happened a few years ago, and I'd be interested in how things progressed, as I'm having literally the same issue. The only difference is that my fillings are new, not replacements. I got five SMALL cavities on the right (top and bottom) filled with composite 1 1/2 months ago. Since then, things have slowly progressed from minor sensitivity to major in two of the teeth--I can't eat hot or cold on that side without extreme pain. For the past 8 days I've also had ear, jaw, teeth, neck, and cheek pain, all on my right side. I thought I might have an ear infection, and although there was only minor inflammation, the doc gave me prescription drops that aren't doing anything to stop it. I'm going back to the dentist early this week, but I really don't want to get 5 root canals on teeth that barely had anything drilled out of them (I also might add that my dental hygiene is excellent, so my gums and teeth are otherwise quite healthy). I still have to get five more filled on the left side, and am so terrified the same thing will happen. Maybe I'll get amalgam instead of composite. But anything you found out through your ordeal would be most appreciated. I hope things have gotten better since then!

Thank you!