Dental Health Expert Forum
Severe throbbing pain days after root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I am VERY concerned, my initial visit was for minor occassional throbbing under tooth #19, the endotontist felt that during the previous root canal/crown placement, that the area where the upside down v meets (the top of the "legs"), may have been perforated or the acid etching may have caused damage too far down. Medicine was placed in the tooth for a week and at one point also disinfectant due to the temporary sealant coming off and needing to be resealed again with medicine.

After the medicine was replaced and the tooth resealed the root canal retreatment was finished 4dys later. When the shots were given to numb, I became very dizzy and shaky (never happened before) went away after a few minutes, it was very scary and caused me to wonder. Then my nerves were hit/irritated several times during the procedure. I was sent home w/o any antibotics nor was the final sealant filed down so my tooth was being hit easily. Also, the xrays show that filler squirted out of the root area in two areas which the endotontist seemed would be fine. So many questionable things have happened over the past few weeks that I am now very apprehensive to trust this endotontist, he did not seemed concerned when I explained my pain. My pain is moving to teeth in the surrounding area.

My tooth is throbbing severely. The endotontist filed the sealant down today, and prescribed Amoxicillan. I am also taking Oxycodone for the pain. I DO NOT want to lose my tooth but was told initially it is possible, I am scared. PLEASE advise. Extra filler squirting out ok? Pain stops when? Save tooth? Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You certainly seem to have alot of things going on. I will try to address as much of your concerns without examining you. I think the reaction you had to the anesthesia might be related to the epinephrine(which is the anesthetic) entering your blood stream. Also you might get a reaction from the local anesthesia if you have not eaten. My concern is the amount of pain you are in and the fact that the furcation area(where the roots split) is involved.I don't know the prognosis of the tooth but the endodontist should be able to give you some idea for the long term. If the furcation was perforated then the prognosis is not very good.
Hi.. Whatever you do, before getting a tooth extracted get a second opinion.. Dont think that if you decide to just get it extracted that it will be the end of your pain.. I thought I took the easy route out by doing that last week instead of a root canal so I could just get out of the intolerable pain but I am having nothing but problems!! Good Luck I feel your pain. Try warm compress's for the throbbing.
I just went through the painful root canal process Monday Dec. 12th, I am 21 years old and have never felt as bad as I do right now. I am taking it day by day to function and I am still coming to work everyday with excruciating pain, a throbbing on that side of my mouth out of this world. Also now my tonsil on that side has begun to swell along with my gums underneath the infected tooth. I am taking amoxicillin and percoset for the pain all that seems to be doing nothing for me. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this amount of pain that I am? -Jamie-
What dentists will not tell you is that you may be rejecting a dead tooth, or worse, the filling material (which is foreign to your body) used for the root canal.  This material may be leaking toxins into your system as well.
A related discussion, HELP ME I AM IN ALOT OF PAIN was started.
A related discussion, After Root Canal Therapy was started.
A related discussion, Very skeptical about crown placement? was started.
A related discussion, throbbing pain after root canal was started.
A related discussion, SUDDEN SHARP PAIN A WEEK AFTER ENDODONDIC PROCEDURE was started.