Dental Health Expert Forum
Shooting pain from chewing gum
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Shooting pain from chewing gum

I was chewing gum yesterday all day and in the afternoon all of a sudden I felt this shooting pain from my tooth going up into my jaw. It was horrible. I stopped chewing the gum (I had had no pain all day until that moment). This morning I was chewing gum again for a whie and then it happened again. A sudden shooting pain into my jaw, the same tooth area. What could this be? I have been diagnosed with TMJ but that has been pretty good for a few years now. I don't have any fillings in the tooth that is experiencing the shooting pain, could it be a cavity? Also, I am 38 1/2 weeks pregnant so I don't want to have x-rays until after I have my baby. Should I still try to go to a dentist even if I don't get the x-rays. I have never had many dental problems in the past. I have one cavity that was filled about 15 years ago, and had my wisdom teeth taken out in college. I've had the beginning of gingavitis, but I floss regularly and that hasn't been a real problem either. Help? ANy advise on what this shooting pain could be?