Dental Health Expert Forum
Shooting pain from chewing gum

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Shooting pain from chewing gum

I was chewing gum yesterday all day and in the afternoon all of a sudden I felt this shooting pain from my tooth going up into my jaw. It was horrible. I stopped chewing the gum (I had had no pain all day until that moment). This morning I was chewing gum again for a whie and then it happened again. A sudden shooting pain into my jaw, the same tooth area. What could this be? I have been diagnosed with TMJ but that has been pretty good for a few years now. I don't have any fillings in the tooth that is experiencing the shooting pain, could it be a cavity? Also, I am 38 1/2 weeks pregnant so I don't want to have x-rays until after I have my baby. Should I still try to go to a dentist even if I don't get the x-rays. I have never had many dental problems in the past. I have one cavity that was filled about 15 years ago, and had my wisdom teeth taken out in college. I've had the beginning of gingavitis, but I floss regularly and that hasn't been a real problem either. Help? ANy advise on what this shooting pain could be?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't understand why you would be chewing gum if you have a history of some type of TMJ dysfunction. The TMJ is like any other joint in the body. I can't see you constantly flexing your leg if you have a knee problem. Why would you be stressing the joint with gum chewing. Cease and desist from the gum chewing and see how that goes before you visit your dentist. Good luck with the baby.