Dental Health Community
Should the dentist extract the tooth and leave the abscess?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I went to the dentist recently with pain in my tooth he said it was an abscess tooth and started a root canal, that was very unsuccessful. My jaw swole , he changed my antibiotic to something stronger, but that did not good, so with three days left on the antibiotic he extracted the tooth yesterday but he did nothing about the abscess. My jaw is still swollen. Should he have done something with the pus or abscess?
Try putting ice on your jaw (ice wrapped in a cloth) for 15 minutes several times a day. Also, rinse around the area very gently with warm salt water.
Extracting the tooth and the antibiotics should have helped the swelling go down.
You should call and see your dentist again. Perhaps he needs to try another type of antibiotic. After extraction of an abcessed tooth, infection is likely to occur.