Dental Health Community
Sinus Problems after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Sinus Problems after root canal

I had a root canal done on one of my upper teeth back in December of 2008.  Since that time I have suffered horribly with sinus problems which I have never had before.  Right after I thought I had a sinus infection so went to the doctor and was put on antibiotics.  I felt a little better but still stuffy, and my ears seemed plugged as well.  Since that time I have been to the doctor several times.  They have told me it's allergies (I have never suffered with them before).  I am also aware that allergie can arise at any time in your life and I do live in one of the worst places for seasonal allergies (GA) but this is ridiculous.  I have had steroid shots (helped breiftly) nose sprays, prescription atihisthamines, pepper spary, netti pots, you name it, I've tried it and I still have to go around with my mouth open like a trout just to breathe.  I did go back to the dentist who performed the root canal and he did a panaramic x-ray and said he saw nothing wrong.  I do remember him making the comment when he was doing the procedure that it was going to be a challenge as one of the canals was really deep, or crooked or I had an extra one...I really can't remember exactly what he said but I do know it seemed unusual.  I am DESPARATE at this point,  I am miserable, fatigued, and so tired of having a stuffy nose.  I am a teacher and this has reallt wreaked havoc on the job as I am conatantly blowing my nose or coughing up gobs of green phlegm...I know, GROSS.  I have an appointment tomorrow with and ear, nose and throat specialist but I am really running out of ideas.  Should I just have the tooth extracted or has there already been irrepairable damage done to my sinuses???  HELP  anybody.
Root canal treatment is probably not contributing your symptomatology. If in doubt, consultation with endodontist is advised. Moreover, food intolerence may be a significant contributing factor to your symptomatology.
The problem is probably related to the dental work because
either the tooth rootcanal was not successful because the dentist didn't clean all of the nerve our like he said because one root was curved,
or there is an extra pathway of the nerve inside the rootthat he couldn't reach to clean out, and they don't always show up on normal X rays.
OR - as happened to me; the dentist accidently punctured the maxillary sinus cavity when he drilled or cleaned out the nerve with the instruments and it got infected.
I have suffered from this sinus business for many years, and had several instances of dental work causing problems with it. I'm not a dentist, but know from experience including my latest one that dental work can often cause, and aggravate these problems.
I've been through the allergy business, had tests, dieted to avoid dairy foods and all food that aggravates sinus problems for years and years and it makes no difference at all! Have the tooth out! If it has a 'bad root' this will go on forever. Once it's gone you will slowly get better in my experience, but sometimes it triggers problems which become permenant. I've had a number of failed root canal and have suffered years of ill health and agony because of dental work. Most of my teeth are gone now. Have it out. I would be very interested in what your ENT specialist says. Inflammatory sinus disease is my guess. Means you have sinus problems. Am I right? a note would be of interest. good luck. Bigkev 414
I am thinking I have thiws problem too. I have had sinus issues, temple, head, and neck pains for 15 yrs now. I had know idea what was causing it and how to correct it. I did the tests, allergy shots, meds, steroids shots, spray. eye drops because I had watery constanlty for no reason. I have never been allergic to anything in my life that I knew of at the time. I was starting to just think it was me as a person, I avoided dairy, sodas, ate organics, foods, and did cleanes and iot worked for a week or so but then the symptoms came back. I couldn't study in school and ended dropping out in 10th grade. I am 30 yrs old now and I am still struggling with this horrible issue. It has been to the point where the pain is almost numb to mje than usual. What some would call a 9 out of 10 of the pain meter I consider 4 out of 10. I have become used to the pain that my body does not gage it properly. I looked at where the pain is coming from or where it is centered, then I rememebr when I got my first root-canal, I was 14yrs old. I didnt even realize it, that was the aroun d the time I started to have these problems. I am trying to figure out if I should just remove the 3 root-canals I have to hope it works. This issues has caused me to not excel in life, I cannot focus, study, concetrate or do things in life because of this. Please help me what do I do now, I had this problem for 15yrs that I cna rememebr and I think the root-canals caused it. PLEASE HELP ME GET MY LIFE BACK AND DO AND STUDY WHAT I WANT AND EXCEL IN LIFE! Thank you.
Sinus problems can definately be caused by a root canal on the upper teeth even if the RC appears to be properly done on the xray.  The dentist could have drilled into the sinus cavity, a small amount of filling material could be outside the bottom of the tooth and the dentist not consider it as a possible cause or in the worst case, the dentist could have used a caustic material, the worst of which is Sargenti Paste which contains 4-6.5% formaldehyde (6-29% is in embalming fluid) and sometimes lead and mercury.  

Ask the dentist what materials were used and specifically ask if any of them contained formaldehyde and if it was a sargenti type formulation.  If it was, run fast.  There are many formulations of sargenti paste along with many names (N2, RC2B, RC2W, sargenti cement).  

If Sargenti Paste was used, I would have the tooth removed by an oral surgeon, NOT a general dentist (especially one who would use sargenti paste on you).  Many dentists will not use this stuff but those who do conceal it from their patients, especially after they are injured.  They know its a malpractice suit in the making.  The FDA has never approved it and actually rejected it for approval in 1993.  The transcript reads like the keystone cops going to the FDA.

When Sargenti Paste is put into the tooth it is done under pressure, allowing small amounts to be dispersed into tissue, nerve and bone.  The formaldehyde fumes can escape the porous structure of the tooth and irritate and/or destroy tissue, nerve, and bone.  Problems can occur immediately after a root canal or even months or years later.  

Proponents have no science to back up their safety claims but, instead, use self-serving testimonials from dentists who use it without any input from the patient...'cause they never told the patient.  

The FDA has NEVER approved/cleared any drug/device with formaldehyde as the active ingredient, which sargenti paste does, and these dentists are getting away with using it on us behind our backs because of the dysfunction of the FDA.  I discovered that our dental industry is lawless.

Ask what they used.  I wish I had known about this stuff in time to mitigate long term damage that it did to my nerves.  Don't want to alarm you, just inform.  You can find more information on the web about it, should they NOT have used it on you.  Not all root canals with it go bad, but, few people want near embalming fluid, lead or mercury permanently sealed within their body.  I sure didn't.

And, then there is the formocresol that has high levels of formaldehyde and that pediatric dentists use on baby teeth!  Small spills of it have caused hospitals and dentist offices to be evacuated and employees sent to the emergency room, and still dentists think it is ok to put in our kid's mouth??  

What I have learned from my path crossing with a Sargenti using dentist blows my mind.  Our dental industry is obviously not as concerned about patient safety as they claim.  It's a lawless industry.

OK, now i feel better.  thanks for listening.  
Do a Google search on AAE Position Paper on Sargenti Paste.  They are the Am Dental Association's only recognized endodontic specialty board.  They are supposed to set the standard for endodontic care and they are very strongly against this material and have science and international papers about patient cases to back it up.   Your story sounds really suspect.

What kind of pain do you have?  Burning, numbness, muscle ache, etc?  It would be interesting to see xrays closer to the time of that root canal....to see if there is any material outside the bottom of the root canaled teeth.
Like so many of the others on this forum, I've had terrible sinus headaches after having a root canal done 3 weeks ago.  It started as soon as the Novocaine wore off.  It was almost unbearable for the first 2 days.  It began around my right eye and nose (the root canal was in my upper right side).  Then the sinus headache seemed travel day by day...first above my eyebrows, then down the upper-left side of my face, then behind my left ear and base of my skull on the left side, and finally to my neck and left should blade.

Now that the most severe pain has subsided, I'm left with a constant sinus headache mostly across the bridge of my nose and behind my eyebrows.  This is all new to me, because I've NEVER had sinus issues before...barely even a headache before this.  The timing of this is just too exact to have it be unrelated.

The tooth feels fine.  It's not sore or sensitive.  The Endodontist said there was no infection (on the tooth) that he could see, and said to give it more time....

I'm very nervous that this will be a chronic condition.  I've read about Sargenti Paste being a potential problem.  I am planning on asking about the materials he used.  I just hope I get an honest answer.   But, the last thing I want to do is to have the root canal re-done, or extract the tooth, because the tooth does not hurt.

Has anyone who posted about this problem, ever recovered or know of anyone who recovered over time, without drastic measures?

I started my root canal in July of 2011and had repeated sinus infections. The dentist would place me on antibiotics and clean it out.  Two days ago he completed the root canal. Soon as the novocaine wore off my tooth was very sensitive and very painful. How long does it take a dentist to do a root canal on one tooth?

This morning I woke up with a terrible migraine and my right sinus is infected and very sore.  I called the dentist and he said, "well you know you have sinus problems, give it a couple more days". This pain is unbearable. I don't know what materials he used but I will ask about Sargenti Paste.

I've had sinus problems for many years but not like this and my sinus only get infected after the root canal procedure.  Has anyone had a success story after this? I've been on antibiotics every month since the beginning of the procedure.  I feel ill most  of the time and have to constantly use nasal sprays, sinus pills and antibiotics. The dentist said I had to have another root canal done on the adjacent tooth, but I don't think so.
I have had 3 root canals in last 2 years and had chronic pain and infection before and ever since. The first root canal i had - the tooth was opened to begin the root canal whilst the tooth still had a raging infection - it was absolute agony - i spent the next 6 months going to and from the dentist trying to clear the infection - they kept putting temporary fillings on and having to take them off as the pain was unbearable and the infection had to drain - it took a total of 7 months to complete the rc, with at least 1 if not 2 trips a week to the dentist. The upper tooth that was rc'd had always felt sensitive - thou the dentist said it was all fine and root canal was ok. When the tooth eventually split i was advised to hace a crown. I paid for 2 crowns for both rc'd teeth. The teeth were prepared and in the weeks whilst the crown was being made the upper tooth continued to be sensitive. I told the dentist this when he was about to put crown on but he ignored me and didn't bother to x ray. He put crown on and within 3 hours I was in total agony. I was awake all night in pain and sat on the step of the dentists waiting for it to open the next morning. I said to the dentist when he eventually saw me - about an hour after opening - "I'm in agony - you need to get this crown off" He gave me 3 anaesthetic injections but my tooth was still throbbing - the infection so bad it was resistant to anaesthetic.He proceeded to hammer at the crown with a metal hammer for 20 minutes - it was excruxciating. The crown wouldn't come off. He gave me anti biotics even thou he insisted I didn't have an infection. 24 hours later my face and neck was swollen to twice it's size - I had the worst 5 days of my life following that day - the antibiotics took 5 days to kick in. When I returned 5 days later I told him I didn't want him touching my teeth I wanted the extraction done in a hospital - he said - "Oh no you don't need the tooth removed" I said "but you tried to hammer it out - causing all this pain" - he said "Only because you said - get this crown off - I was doing as you asked" OMG!!! Why couldn't he have just given me anti biotic from the start and reascess the situation after they'd taken effect instead of putting me through that!!!! Anyway - the pain has never ceased - I have now been assesed in oral surgery department at the hospital to find both the root canals he performed are completley inadequate - both of them are only partially filled - they both have chronic infections in them - I need to have them both removed and get a false teeth plate made. That's after spending nigh on £500.00 on 2 root canals and 2 crowns let alone the pain and suffering I have already endured. Im in intense pain at the moment thou I have a really high pain threashold and am now waiting after 2 years of chronic infection to get these teeth removed - which I'm dreading
Just wondering if anyone got answers to their problems? I too am suffering from chronic sinus problems following a retreated root canal. I have since had the tooth extracted and a dental implant placed, but still no relief. I'm curious to see if anyone else has any insight.
http://www.hugginsappliedhealing.com/faqs.php

Root canals are toxic....just had 3 teeth pulled because of that......check out biological dentists and read about it........best of luck!
I had terrible tooth pain  one year ago. I went to a dentist and he told me that i need a root canal. i was in terrible pain. While he was drilling the pain was more and more and the anesthetic had no effect. I asked him to remove it and he did. I continued having pain because he removed the wrong tooth.

I went to another doctor and he did a roor canal. It is one year now and I still ahve paibn every month opr every few months I have to take antibiotic. Last night i couldn't slep from pain. I never had problems with my sinus before going to this dentist. I paid 500  USD for one root canale cleaning and i am still having pain... Should I just remove it?
I just experienced a similar situation.  In my case, after having a CT scan by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist, I learned that there was a tear in the sinus membrane.  The tooth in question had the root canal 6 years ago.  It was a root canal gone bad.  Not sure why yet. Still investigating.  During that time a significant amount of my jaw bone has deteriorated and then a root canal on the tooth next to it two months ago brought the whole thing to a head with very severe sinus drainage and a huge abscess.  The tear in the membrane was caused by the most recent root canal.  To add insult to injury, now my insurance doesn't want to pay.  Still working on that part.  The tooth with the root canal of 6 years ago has been removed and now doing much better.  Good luck
after reading through this lot looks like im going to have to have my front tooth out, For which ive had 15 yrs, yes 15 years of repeat root canals clean outs 6 years of antibiotics, then I had to have an apicoectomy, which resulted in having the root tip removed from the tooth next to the problem tooth too. I commented on my follow up that something wasn't right but I was told it was all im my head because of what they had done. it did seem to calm down but with every cold I got id get twinges up a nerve up the side of my face reaching my eye. My eye has a floater in it  which start this year which the optician cannot see and ive been back and forth to the doctors. the other night i got a what felt like fluid filling in my tooth feeling then and hour later i was blowing loads of gunk out of nose but only on the one side, the other side of my face totally unaffected.Its got to be this thats causing it. Didnt want to lose my front tooth it wasn't even due to decay on my part that caused it either I broke it and the cap kept falling off I was going back a forth every couple of months to get it stuck back in.
hi

i  had 3 root canal surgery in my upper tooth(2 left side upper tooth 1 right side )in 2009,after that i got asthma in 2010 and now(2013) i got sinus problem.ENT doctor told that i have maxcell chornical baterial sinus in right nose and due to this i got astma also.

is all this happened due to root canal?how to analysie the root cause for all?
I had a root canal about six years ago and after cleaning was immediately plugged - unusual in the old days, now standard.  By the next day there was a terrible stench more or less inside my nasal cavities and it was perfectly evident that an anaerobic dental bacteria was now populating my sinus.  Well, six years later, I now have a chronic
infection and that stench is more or less a regular friend, particularly if my head is bent down and I'm exerting myself.
Antibiotics were used once, to no effect.  I have not yet found a credible or effective way to address this wholly unwelcome infection.
Aron55, I really resonated with your comment. This winter alone, I've had 6-7 different sinus infections.  My husband can smell "the rotting", and he predicts my sinus infection a few days before it gets really bad. When he smells it, I know its coming a prepare for what feels like never-ending headache, drainage and incessant throat clearing that prevents me from doing all things fun.

I had a full sinus surgery 4 years ago because the infections were so bad (according to MRIs taken over the course of 1.5 yrs showing they just went from bad to worse after different rounds of antibiotics). For two years after the surgery, I reveled in being infection free. However, now they reoccur as frequently as before the surgery. My hypothesis is that the surgery cleaned out the infection, but bacteria from my root canals have recolonized. (I had no sinus problems before I had the root canals.)  I rec'd the book ROOT CANAL COVER UP for Christmas and am trying to determine next steps. I'm going to start by contacting Huggins  Applied Healing.....
I totally know how u feel. I have two RC on upper right side.  Had them done 2yrs ago. Nov 2013 I started having major sinus drip which soon turned into horrible smelly green goo that I have to blow out of my right nostril every minute day & night. Dr gave my z-PAC, amoxicillin , finally  Cephlex cleared it for about 1 month & it started back again. The smell is horrible when I bend over or blow nose. I am exhausted of the whole thing!!! Any suggestions
Look up medhelp member Friggy, who has the most detailed response to this issue that I've ever seen.  
hello there
i just doing a research about a sinus problem and found your comments here..
i am suffering the same problem as you..i have been with this problem for 8 yrs now since a molar root canal.
i see your post is from 2009..how are you feeling now?
as you,i think i have this chronic sinus infections because the molar root canal..