Dental Health Community
Skin peeling off inside lips after brushing.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

In the last 6 months or so I have noticed that about 20 minutes after I brush my teeth, a small amount of dead skin accumulates on the inside of my lower lip.  It's very white when gathered in one spot but pretty clear when stretched apart.  It's not painful, it's more uncomfortable for me to either have to spit it out or slide my finger between my teeth/gums, and my lower lip to extract it.  Is there something that I need to be worried about?  I have noticed that it may have coincided with my switch to the new Crest Health Toothpaste.  I also recently started using a Sonicare Electric toothbrush (around the same time).  But that could be coincidence only.  thank you for your responses.
I have the same thing but mine is not just after I brush. I have to wipe the space between my cheek an gums about 3 times a week andI get a small thing strip of skin when I do.

I read somewhere that perimenopause can cause this.BUt I started noticing it after I switched toothpaste. I went from Sensodyne to Crest.

I will love to find out if there is a connection.
I have also experienced this; after brushing is when it happens to me.  I switched from Colgate to Crest Pro Health toothpaste, and that has actually made it worse.  Anyone know anything about this?
Yes it is candida infection. Trust me . We all have in our body. Its normal, just have to get it under control. Ask your doctor.
that is odd because i recently started experiencing this, and this coincides with me starting to use crest pro health toothpaste.

i think its very harsh - it burns my tongue and mouth often.

i would recommend for us to stop using that toothpaste.
I started using Crest Pro-Health and the same exact thing started happening to me.  It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that it was the toothpaste that was causing it.  This never happened to me with any other kind of toothpaste.  I stopped using the Crest Pro-Health as soon as I made the connection, but now I have been having a similar *(but far less intense) reaction to all toothpastes and mouthwashes.  I even tried the all natural ones.  Lip balms and lipsticks are also a problem now.  This all started with the Crest Pro-Health!
I've been having this problem for several years. I asked my regular physician at first and was told to take more vitamin C. I did that with no improvement at all. Then I went to a homeopathic physician and he told me that it was in my stomach and caused by what i was eating. he put me on a medicine, and told me that I will have to take it for three to four months. But after about a month, i noticed the symptom increased! so, now i stopped taking the homeopathic madicine. I am really frustrated. I am going to another regular doctor in a few days for another check up.
I did notice from the other postings that we are all using the Crest Prohealth toothpaste. But my sympton has been there even before using the crest prohealth tooth paste. But it starts about an hour after brushing. anyone else has any other thoughts or ideas?
I also just started using Crest Pro Health and I have been experiencing the same issue after my first use of the toothpaste.
i bought crest pro health while i was on vacation a few months ago and i just put it in my medicine cabinet and i ran out of my usual toothpaste tonightt so i used it and i was sitting on here checking my e-mails and it started to happen to me so i googled peeling cheek skin after brushing and i got this :) thanks for you help and **** is going in the garbage
I was looking for something else & found the above comments.  About 2 yrs. ago, or when ever pro health crest came out, I was one of the first to try it.  Until I read all comments, I never associated the skin inside the mouth.  Thinking back, it was a little while after brushing & i had changed to P.H. Crest.  I didn't care much for it & switched to something else & i haven't had it since.  someone mentioned menopause, well i was in the worst part of it, if there is one part worse than the others.  Now, I have no teeth in my mouth.  I am very depressed & haven't been out of my house since I had the full mouth extraction.  I had 23 pulled at once & they scraped the jaw bones., gave me a platelet transfusion along with fresh frozen plasma with general anesthesia.  
  It's been 23 days, I still can't wear the dentures because I think they are to big for my mouth & i look like a giant ape.& am unable to touch my lips together & the teeth look huge.  Thank God for black & decker.  My sister-in-law bought me one of their food grinders otherwise I would lost have lost more than the 15 lbs.  i have.  
I have used Crest Pro-Health in the past and I had slight peeling of the skin inside my mouth. Like everyone has said, it's not painful at all, just a nuisance. I'd reach my finger in there and take a little out. Then I switched to Tom's of Maine natural toothpaste. I used it for a month or two, and the problem was gone. I love that stuff, it's amazing. But then my teeth started becoming sensitive (I guess it's genetic, my mom has the same problem?), so I just recently started using Sensodyne toothpaste, and the problem came back, but even worse! It's gross. I wake up in the morning and I have to take a paper towel and scrape all of the peeled skin out. I hate it. I'm going to go back to Tom's of Maine toothpaste and say screw it to the sensitive teeth problem...Sensodyne isn't really doing much for me anyway. Is it possible that age that causes the skin peeling, or is it the toothpaste? This has all happened in the past year and I'm 33.
I have had the same problem but mine started when I used the Listerine Whitening, It was actually much worse when I used Listerine than when I used Crest Pro Health. I like Crest Pro Health actually; it makes my mouth feel clean. Other than the gum peeling occaisionally there is nothing wrong with it other than the mouthwash leaves my tongue blue. Maybe, it has something do to with the amount of time we leave the mouthwash in that makes the skin peel.
Nejeri, I believe we're all talking about the toothpaste and not the mouthwash. I have never had problems with Crest's mouthwash. It's a few toothpastes that I've had issues with. But I did go back to Tom's of Maine natural toothpaste and the peeling is gone. They have this orange-mango flavor that is so awesome; I don't think I will ever go back to any other toothpastes again. There must be some sort of chemical in the other toothpastes that does something to the inner lining of the mouth.
I started using Crest ProHealth about a month ago now and the skin inside my mouth has been pealing off at an alarming rate, not only that but it is getting worse.  I considered a few days ago that it might be the stupid toothpaste but I first thought it was the other things I'd been eating (Tobasco sauce) until just brushing my teeth a few minutes ago and then searching this page up.  Warning to all that find this page:  Beware of Crest ProHealth, beware!!!!!
I've had the same problems with various toothpastes.  I switched to Tom's of Maine Floride paste and a Tom's mouthwash and no more problems.  You might try it and see if it works.
I have had the same experience. I started using crest pro health and even the cinnamin crest tooth paste. I have had shredding of the skin on the inside of my checks. I am going to change my tooth paste to see if that has any effects.
This has happened to me when I have tried toothpaste that has been too strong. Switching back to something gentler will help.
I came on looking for reasons why my mouth has been peeling.  I had wondered if it could have been my toothpaste, but thought no that has got to be impossible.  Now after reading all of these post it confirms that it is the switch I made to Crest Pro Health, because that is when it all started.  It is very gross and getting worse.  Is it a healthy thing to lose this skin or is the toothpaste bad.
The inside of my mouth is peeling.

I was worried until I read all of the posted comments. I did start to notice the peeling after I started using Crest Pro Health or a Crest Whitening toothpaste. I wonder if it is gel toothpaste causiny the peeling. The orignal crest toothpaste that is not a gel is difficult to find.  
Something to keep in mind is allergies, as well, perhaps the pro-health stuff has more of something than others?  I only bring this up because I'm allergic to fluoride and can't use any chemical-type toothpastes, mouthwash, floss, etc.  From what I've been told this allergy isn't common and most likely caused by my geographic tongue, but something to think about.  Try switching to your old toothpastes or I recommend Tom's.
Hey guys, I have the same problem with the whole skin peeling thing...It's disgusting and so annoying.

I too have realized this problem and experimented with several toothpastes... i've tried crest, colgate, aquafresh...they all suck. However, REMBRANDT is freaking amazing. Although it's $5-$7 dollars a pop, it worth not waking up with dead skin in your mouth... i'm kinda running low on money now, so i had to buy aquafresh and i'm just going to get over that and go back to my rembrandt....

does anyone know the difference between the two? which chemicals are in what toothpaste?? good luck all...
I am just now figuring out that this toothpaste must be the culprit of my peeling! I am losing  A LOT of skin from inside my mouth.  It is so disgusting! I thought it was just me, since my boyfriend has been using the same toothpaste with me, but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.  Will definitely be switching to another toothpaste very soon. Thanks, everyone, for posting your issues. =]
Geeezzz    Maybe something in the toothpaste was made in China or they imported a chemical made from china to make the paste.  

uhhhhhhh      I just bought some pro health tooth paste I was going to start using lol
but after all this I don't know if I should.

it is by someone else though, Sensodyne.  

I am so glad that I looked online! I have actually had this problem for years and I was afraid to look online because I thought it would be something serious! It used to happen years ago, and then stopped for a long time. It recently started getting bad again and, coincidentally, I have been using Crest Pro Health toothpaste. It's the same as everyone else described: white to clear clumps of dead skin on the inside of my cheeks and lips. No pain, just gross and annoying. So maybe there is some sort of chemical or flouride allergy....I am going to try Tom's of Maine toothpaste and see if that helps!
I use colgate sparkling white cinnamint, and I get the same peeling of dead skin on the inside on my mouth, my inner cheek from gum to gum. Has anyone switched toothbrushes to see if it's different? Because I've noticed that my current one has a lot of rubbery plastic bits to it, more than I've ever had on a toothbrush before. And as for the toothpaste, I believe I was using it before this started then switched over to the regular Crest flavor and then it started after I switched back to the colgate cinnamint.
I have ONLY had this problem with Crest Pro Health toothpaste.
I stopped using Crest Pro Health and have been using Toms of Maine for a few weeks now, and the problem has completely stopped!!
So glad I came to this website. I also recently switched to Crest Pro Health tooth paste and was losing excessive amounts of skin in my mouth.  I didn't even link it to the toothpaste. I was losing so much skin I was afraid something was wrong with me. It is definitely the tooth paste. I'm only 23 and have used practically every tooth paste on the shelves (I tend to try new ones) and this is the only one that has done this too me. I switched but hopefully it's harmless that it was used.  
I had this problem since two years. I thought it was mouth ulcer but it was not.
I am trying to think how it started. Two years ago I started to use a toothpaste called vademecum. Maybe that caused the problem. After that, I tried colgate , aquafresh but it didn't work. Sometimes got worse.
Once, for a week I didn't use any toothpaste or mouthwash, just water, but large amounts of skin still ws peeling off.

I do not know what to do. It is disgusting.
I had a similar experience with peeling/stringy white stuff.  I actually went to a dentist shortly after brushing my teeth and she told me that the problem was that my mouth was reacting to the whitening in the toothpaste.  Once I switched to a non-whitening toothpaste, the problem cleared up immediately.

Regarding Crest Pro-Health, I can't speak to the toothpaste, but you can easily do some research on the rinse and you'll see that the stuff should be pulled off the market.  It causes dark spots on your teeth.  They were giving refunds awhile back.  I think there was/is a lawsuit too.
Wow!  I am not the only FREAK out there with this problem!  I haven't been able to find ANYONE else who has this issue.  I even asked three dentists about it and two knew nothing about it and one just said that my toothpaste must be causing a film in my mouth - which I knew was not true b/c I could FEEL the skin peeling off.

I have had this for YEARS, and like others, I have noticed that the only toothpastes that dont cause me peeling is Tom's of Maine and Rembrandt (which is crazy expensive, but it really does whiten and doesn't cause me to peel).  Crest products are the worst offenders but all the other major commercial brands cause peeling too.

I suspect the offending ingredient might be either too much mint or too much flouride.  Dentists really should be more educated about this if this many people suffer from it.  Maybe I should contact the ADA?
WOW!  I've had this before and it went away after switching a few toothpastes. I figured it was the flouride, but I googled it and found nothing. Well, I just bought the Crest Intensive Cleaning Paste you are supposed to use once a week. I used it last night and had the peelies this morning. I'm sure someone has complained of this to Crest. I want to know what chemical is causing this.
I've had this problem with all mouthwashes and toothpastes.  I found SuperSmile  toothpaste works wonders - and Biotene mouthwash.  I've never had a problem with the peeling since I've used these two products.
I think I know what the problem is...... okay so this happened to me but i had been using the toothpaste for a while and none of my skin had peeled until i accidentally kept it in my mouth for too long. obviousily if you read the box u wold know you are only supposed to brush with the toothpaste for one minute.. hope this helped =)
Wow, I am amazed to find all these comments, as I was searching for the answer to why I have all this white stringy stuff after I brush. It never used to happen, and has been like this for almost the past year and starting to freak me out a bit.. now that I read this thread I think that is about the time that I too started using the Crest Pro Health. It's strange that there isn't more information out there about this since it seems to be a common thing with this toothpaste and a bit scary if we don't know if it is safe or not. Why should toothpaste flay the skin right out of your mouth? lol
I also have the "peely" problem and it is definitely related to the type toothpaste I use.  I cannot use Crest or Colgate for this reason.  I've been using Arm & Hammer (with baking soda) for years, without having the skin peel from my mouth, but with this last tube my mouth has started peeling again.  I guess Arm & Hammer has added an ingredient??  It really is disgusting...I've been picking pieces of skin from my mouth all morning!!
I am 16 and the skin in my mouth peels when I brush with the big brand named toothpastes, which I rarely do. I have been using Tom's of Maine toothpaste since I started brushing my teeth and I have never had this problem until I used Crest toothpaste. When I switched back to my old toothpaste the problem stopped. With the old Peppermint flavored toothpaste from Tom's of Maine, it would burn the skin around my mouth if I got the toothpaste on it and turn it brown for a few hours.
Hello All, I had this same problem years ago when I used Colgate. I worked for a Dentist who told me I had an allergy to the toothpaste and to switch brands which I did promptly and have not had this problem since. Hope this helps!

susan
I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste and it's all that I have used for years and years.  I have the same problem and got here just like you guys, through googling.  Just like another poster, I keep my toothpaste in my mouth for a couple of minutes so I am thinking that it is a reaction to same.  Couple that with the whitening agents found in all these products and I think that's the culprit.  

I will tell you that I haven't found it to be all that uncommon because I mentioned it to two other people and both had experienced this before.  

Whatever the case may be, welcome to the lip peeling club! Ugh!
I have this same problem and it is really driving me nuts. It gets worse and better but does anyone else have that gross feeling in their mouth also? Its not just the peeling skin, but also this icky feeling all over your mouth like you have some strange fungus growing or something? Nothing visible but really gross feeling.
I just started having this problem in the last two weeks since I started using Crest Vivid White,  which I just threw out after reading everyone's posts.  I'll be seeing the Dentist in the New Year and will discuss with him but it's frightening how Crest seems to be the culprit for so many
i also had this mouth peeling problem, and ive researched and investigated thoroughly. i finally found out what it was...artificial sweeteners!!!. they are in SO many things these days from diet sodas,diet bars, sugarless everything, and especially toothpastes! the toothpaste companies load it in there to flavor the toothpaste, especially crest. crest is a horrible toothpaste to use. i recommend switching to toms natural toothpaste, or even anything other than crest, but beware of the aspartame they put in them.read labels and look up ingredient lists.
hope that helps:)
excuse me...in crest, the sweetener is sodium saccharin.
Everybody with lip skin problems!

I know the cause and the cure!  My boyfriend, my sister, and myself have all had this problem.  It is caused by all whitening toothpastes.  We stopped using whitening toothpastes and the very next day the lip skin problem stopped and did not return.  It's something in the whitening toothpaste.  Try it.  You'll see.
I'm  a 61 year old male and this skin peeling began about two years ago,
another poster suggested the tooth paste is coming from China, I'll bet anything quality control in that country and the formulas that go into making toothpaste by almost all manufacturers is the culprit. I believe there ma be a long term health risk and this issue needs to be reported to The Food And  Drug Administration. No, it is not your imagination and most dentist either don't know or care as long as you use there dental services, it's a way to stay in business, not that I begrudge them, I have a great dentist. wouldn't trade him for the world.
It is the toothpastes you are using.  Any of the all in one toothpastes such as Crest and some whitenig toothpastes cause this. Aquafresh has a whitening toothpaste that won't.  Crest appears to be one of the worst, plus any "extreme cleaning" toothpastes.  When this happens always switch toothpastes, you'll see it stop immediately.
I have the same problem and have tried all sorts of toothpastes. However, I'm inclined to believe it may be premenstrual because I've noticed it happens everytime I get PMS, the usual bloating and sluggishness, as well as mild thrush. Premestrual thrush I minimise with yoghurt comsumption, but the peeling mouth is still a mystery!
The same thing started happening to me a few years ago.  I was using Colgate Max Fresh (whitening).  I recently switch to Sensodyne whitening and the same thing is happening.  The common thread seems to be the "whitening" ingredients.  I will need to switch to a toothpaste without the whitening ingredients to see if the same thing happens.

To be continued...
that toothpaste is known for doing that... leaves this weird coating on your teeth... dont think it is skin
I am a 20 year old female,

I seriously just searched "why does my mouth get this weird coating after I brush my teeth" and found these posts.

I too have been suffering lately from skin/mucus/who knows what peeling off of my gums and cheeks.  

I am shocked at the coincidences with crest pro-health and honestly just got up to check my cabinet to see what I've been using since I've been home from college.

Sure enough, Crest Pro-Health is sitting on my sink.

I feel like writing them a nasty letter.
This type of peeling occurs from a mild chemical irritation and will go away after a few days of stopping the cause. It is like an unintended chemical peel.  Most Crest Brand tooth paste has Tarter Protection. Most of this is caused by tooth pastes with the tarter protection or complete formulas.

Examples of causes are: water softeners, chlorine, mouthwashes, toothpastes with special detergents (such as tartar control or complete formulas), overuse of lozenges, mints, and chewable vitamins. You can also get this from taking powdered aspirin formulas and phenol containing agents.
This type of peeling occurs from a mild chemical irritation and will go away after a few days of stopping the cause. It is like an unintended chemical peel.  Most Crest Brand tooth paste has Tarter Protection. So either your mouth will fight it and get the dead skin, but for me it finally stopped after about 2 weeks.

IThe skin peeling inside your mouth isn't anything to worry about. A lot of people get this. It is most likely your toothpaste your using, if it has tarter protection or a complete formula. Many people say they get it when the use Crest Pro Health. But, this type of peeling occurs from a mild chemical irritation and will go away after a few days of stopping the cause. It is like an unintended chemical peel.

The skin peeling inside your mouth isn't anything to worry about. A lot of people get this. It is most likely your toothpaste your using, if it has tarter protection or a complete formula. This type of peeling occurs from a mild chemical irritation and will go away after a few days of stopping the cause. It is like an unintended chemical peel.

I experienced the exact same issues after switching to Crest Pro Hralth!  A doctor told me it could be a sign that the toothpaste is too strove and burning my mouth or an odd form of allergy to it. But it's definitely NOT Candida infection (also known as thrush/oral yeast infection) as you would have a heavy white film, very, very bad breath and taste in your mouth.
Recently I switched to Crest pro-health sensitive shield and noticed the inside of my mouth peeling.  They should put a warning on the box that this is a possible side reaction.  
I've changed toothpaste 5 times now... (Colgate, Crest, sensodyne, arm & hammer and close-up)... and its STILL happening... I never had this problem while I was growing up... maybe they are putting more stuff into the toothpaste (regardless which)... I observed that with the new Sensodyne Iso-Acting Foaming Gel (whitening) it happens less (still happens but not everyday...) I really don't know why it's happening... it hasn't happened to anyone around me (parents, siblings, husband) and they use the same brands.  I asked the dentist and she stared at me and told me to stop using the toothpaste I'm using... (didn't help at all)
A lot of you say the problem is we are using Whitening toothpaste... but... is Crest Pro-Health you are all using Crest Pro-Health whitening?  Cause I know there is one that isn't whitening.  I'll try a non whitening one then and share it later!  
this is wild i switched to crest whitening about a week ago...the skin peeling started around that time.  i even threw out a new tube of lipstick thinking that was the problem!!! thanks so much i had no clue it was the toothpast. byebye crest whitening
you guys its just an allergic reaction to sodium lauryl sulfate, I had the same issue, just throw away the toothpaste and go buy an organic toothpaste or any type of toothpaste that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Hope this helps :)
hi,
yes it is infection.first you consult your dentist, my view this problem is in your using tooth pest, you use herbal tooth pest.
I've always assumed it was just dead skin sloughing off. Skin grows back relatively quick and it could be just a cycle? Some toothpastes are strong though.
I have experienced the same thing. I`ve been started using Crest Pro-Health new gum protection and about 20 minutes later the inside of my lips felt all slimy. It took me 5 times sweeping my finger along my lip to get all of the clear white stuff out.
From all of the research I have done we may have allergies to sodium lauryl sulfate. It's a detergent common in most toothpastes, however it may be stronger in crest pro health.  I have had this problem since I was young, and I always though the peeling was normal.  Two toothpastes that don't have sodium lauryl sulfate in them are Sensodyne ProNamel and some of Tom's. Hope this Helps
I have lived in china for 35years and I had never had this "skin peeling from inside of my mouth" problem until I moved to the US.  I have tried all sorts of different toothpaste, the problem never stopped. Very frustrating. I asked my dentist, she suggest me trying Tom's, I have't
tried yet. A while ago, I found a chinese herb toothpast in a chinese grocery, I tried it, It seems that the peeling gets better, but I don't like the toothpast very much. It's too mild.
The inside of my mouth has been peeling.  In fact, when I got up the other morning, one of my lower teeth was loose.  I was really worried.

I got on the computer to see what the problem could be and I am also, using Crest Pro Health Toothpaste.

I will stop using it today.
I have had this same problem and am also using Crest toothpaste!! I had switched to Sensodyne but, still had the problem...not nearly as bad as with the Crest but, still a problem. We ran out of toothpaste and my husband went and bouht MORE CREST!! Major problem back again! I love how clean my teeth feel after using the Crest PH BUT...is it really worth all of this?
Where do you buy that tooth paste Tom Maine ? I would like to try it.
All of your comments are right ,for some the toothpaste is too strong,others that "Whitening " agent is causing the slothing and "Colgate" and "Crest" seems to be the main culprits
so when it happens " Switch" till you find one that is less intense, that Tom's Maine sounds like its worth trying , my hygenist was not sure what it was or how to fix it so thats why I am on-line and I think you all have some very good points.

rozmommy
OMG!!! I thought I was the only one trying to figure this **** out! I've always been using Crest Pro Health, & the stringy **** appears in my mouth by the time I leave for school. Lots of people seem to be experiencing the same thing, but no one knows what it's called or what it is!!
I had the same thing - skin peeling off my gums and inner lips in sheets - the day after the first time using Cresh Pro Health! I emailed Crest right away and this was their response:

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for contacting Crest.

I'm sorry about your experience with Crest toothpaste.  The film you noticed in your mouth is safe and is a result of the natural process to remove dead cells from the skin surfaces in your mouth.  The cleaning action of toothpaste can accelerate this process and often results in the skin coming off in sheets, making the removal of dead skin cells more noticeable.  If it's bothersome, we recommend you discontinue use.

I want to assure you, our products are thoroughly evaluated to be safe when used as directed.  Still, your report is important and I’m sharing it with our Health and Safety Division.  I'm also responding by postal mail.  Look for my letter within the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Laure
Crest Team

---------

so if it's "safe", then why are they forwarding my report to their Health & Safety Division??

if they know about this, they should be putting a warning on their products!!!
I have been getting this on and off for a while, due to switching between toothpastes I guess. Usually use Colgate and switch between Sensodyne, but I tend to use the whitening versions and I think this maybe causing the issue with me, due to all the extra products they use. I just chose to ignore it in the past but today I thought I would investigate. I will definitely stop using these products adopt the 'Tom's toothpaste' or other.

Thank fab for the internet and for all you lovely people. Doctors don't always know the answer and its good to hear about people suffering from the same issues and their remedy's for solving this.
Thank you everyone who has posted so far!  You helped me so much. I was using the combination of Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste Enamel Shield and rinsing with Listerine.  The inside of my mouth was peeling and my teeth were feeling like I had electrical currents running through them. I felt like they were over the top sensitive.  They hurt and throbbed.  I couldn't sleep and started wearing a night guard just in case I might be causing the problem by possibly grinding my teeth at night.  I was trying hard to figure out why my teeth hurt. I went to the endodontist and she found nothing wrong.  I was just sure I needed a root canal so I was surprised when she said there was no evidence of any root problems.  I mentioned the Listerine situation and she told me to not use it anymore.   I didn't even consider the toothpaste in contributing to my tooth pain.   Since reading your responses, I have discontinued the toothpaste and listerine.  Within two days I had no more pain at all and no peeling inside my mouth.  I hate to think what could have happened to my teeth if I had continued to use the crest pro health toothpaste and the listerine.  I've now switched Tom's of Maine toothpaste and Tom's of Maine mouthwash.  Everything is back to normal in my mouth.  Thank you all so much for posting your experiences.  I really appreciate it!  
Wow.  I also use Crest Pro Health Sensitivity and Enamel Shield and my TEETH started to hurt as well, along with the skin peeling (which has always happened when I use whitening toothpaste and I was willing to put up with it).  I even bought a night guard because I tend to grind my teeth.  I switched to ProNamel and both problem stopped.  I'm contacting Crest about the pain.  This ha to stop.
I've used the Crest ProHealth toothpaste for about six months, I suspected that it was the cause of tissue peeling off inside my cheeks.  I also used the mouthwash until I realized it was causing me to lose my sense of taste all day long, I threw it out.  I just threw out the toothpaste, I'm trying Biotene , and I found some plain Colgate toothpaste-just cavity protection, no bells and whistles like Whitening, Gum Protection, etc.  I was amazed at how many toothpastes have whitening, not all of us are willing to put up with spitting out bits of cheek tissue in order to have a little bit whiter teeth.
I also have this problem and just keep a roll of paper towels next to the sink and after I brush my teeth, put on my make-up and do my hair I wipe my mouth out with the paper towel.  It is disgusting to have to do this but it's a solution that works.  No more nasty peeling mouth on the car ride to work!  I also noticed that the peeling stopped with the use of Tom's toothpaste but I like the whitening effect of Crest better.  Aahh the things we go through to look good!
It's definitely not a problem specific to any one brand.  It's a sensitivity or allergy to the whitening agents being used.  I think mammo is right, Aquafresh doesn't seem to do it.  I had gone back to just regular old toothpaste to avoid the issue.
Yes, This is it.  I am so glad I am not the only one!  I use crest Prp-health,  and this werid white stuff started happening. Yay. for not freaking out over web, MD.  
My sister had this problem, but until now I never knew what she was talking about. She used Colgate whitening toothpaste, and that stringy clear weird stuff happened. I thought she was crazy xD
One morning I decided to brush my teeth with a little bit more of Colgate Whitening(the same one my sister had used) toothpaste and that happened, like one of the people said above, they could feel it in action.. It felt like burning in my mouth, then I tried to take it out and the clear stringy stuff came out! My advice is to use a little less of the toothpaste it, I use a pea size amount so it is just enough to brush all my teeth :] I hope that helped. Colgate and 3m is the only toothpastes I use and I use it in pea size amounts only.
It is totally that toothpaste. We are all sensitive to different things and the common theme amongst us all is that this toothpaste is not for us. Tom's Sensitive paste works for me. All Natural as well! I highly recommend it! Thanks for all the posts, it feels good that we are not alone, just sensitive to crests chemicals!
Yes, thank for the post, now I am noticing that my skin peeling is caused by Crest Pro Health and rinsing my mouth with salt water works for me:)
I've had this problem for 10 years now. Toothpaste with fluoride has caused the insides of my cheeks to exfoliate...I have used baking soda, Toms of Maine (no flouride), Burts Bees toothpaste, etc., and have not had problems with any of them as long as there is no fluoride. I have no support from the dentists I've worked with, apparently we're alone with this problem and no one seems to know why this happens to us.
Sure the letter lady who works in Crest don't use this tooth paste she had no clue.....then why should I?
I have the same problem i changed from colgate to crest pro-health and since i been using crest it happens when i use it
There are plenty of dental offices that are flouride and mercury free.
There are also good products like Xyliwhite toothpaste by NOW Foods. It rocks and does a really good job at whitening and cleaning. The active ingredient is Xylitol. If you notice on most toothpastes that the active ingredient is always labelled as a form of flouride yet in the other ingredients you find xylitol. This is because the flouride does nothing. It is the xylitol that is doing all the work. There is plenty of information on youtube and other sites about all of this.

Although Tom's of Maine used to be a great company they are now owned by Colgate-Palmolive Co. Ever since it is a huge battle between the philosophies of each company. Although Tom's of Maine still does a lot of donations and such their ingredients are regulated by Colgate. The only flouride free toothpaste Tom's can produce is for children. Flouride is an industrial waste that should not be used by humans. It is taken from aluminum factories waste and put in water supplies and dental products. The aluminum industry was facing massive lawsuits from farmers, livestock owners, and the general population around the aluminum factories because their crops, livestock, and their own health were being affected by flouride and other byproducts in the air and water. So in order to stave off the lawsuits the aluminum companies organized an effort to make flouride viewed as safe. They paid the leading scientist that was advising the government on water additives to say flouride was safe. After all if it was in the whole water supply and used in dental offices and products then these people living close to the factories would have no case! We've been lied to and our health is suffering.
This happened to me years ago after starting to use a whitening toothpaste. It didn't hurt or anything, but it got to the point where I constantly felt like I was gagging on this stringy stuff, which turned out to be peeling skin on the inside of my mouth. I asked my dentist about it and he said it is an allergy to the whitening ingredient in toothpastes. He said it's fairly common. As soon as I stopped using whitening toothpastes, it quit. I haven't been able to find one that doesn't give me that problem. I recently decided to give Crest ProHealth a try and almost immediately, the problem started again. Which was a bummer, because I liked it. I pretty much have to use the regular old Crest paste or gel with no frills whatsoever, no tarter control, nothin. Almost every other toothpaste has a whitening ingredient in it.
I am experiencing the same disgusting symptom but only following the use of Crest Pro Health. If I use any other toothpaste on the same day, I do not experience this problem but, without fail, within twenty minutes of using Crest Pro Health, the symptom returns. The mucoid tissue continues to appear for as long as thirty minutes. Now that I read these comments, I will not use the product any further.
This is caused from eating a lot of sugar. It's an over growth of yeast. Eat Plain yogurt a couPle of times you'll notice as soon as yOu finish a cup it's gone from your mouth. Or But keep eating the yogurt every day for a week. But you must cut back on the sugar. If this doesn't help ask your doctor for the internal yeast pill.  l will look it up and post it.
The drug you need to kill the over growth of yeast in your mouths is Diflucan.
PEROXIDE = It is a chemical in several brands of toothpaste and mouth washers sold over the counter out there. When in contact with skin inside your mouth it acts like an exfoliating agent and that “white stuff” is the result of it. It is dead skin.

GOOD NEWS = This is harmless and painless. NOT dangerous and it poses NO threat to your health. The reason why this is not mentioned by the companies that sell those products is simple: This peeling thing coming out of your mouth after using their product is gross and that would not look good on TV commercials!

BAD NEWS = There is no solution (or cure if you will) for that. Unless of course you stop using products with such chemical. It is almost impossible to find good stuff out there without it (in case you haven’t realized it yet). Since there’s no negative side effects (just gross peeling dead skin) forget about feeling “entitled” to compensation from manufacturers!!! If we want to use such products we have to live with this inconvenient side effect for now.

P.S.: Science is in constant evolution. We now have mouth washers with no alcohol (less intense as they say on the commercials!). It burns less and it seems to be an improvement compared to older versions of the same product. Who knows… Tomorrow we may have effective alternatives without having to deal with this gross side effect! Peace.
I have the same exact problem. I have always used Crest Toothpaste and I have been using Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste for a year now. For me this problem started a few months ago and it doesn't happen everyday. I found when I use the Crest Pro-Health mouth wash the problem goes away. When I stop using the mouth wash the problem comes back.
I will go shopping for new toothpaste today.  This has been driving me crazy and turned my periodic mouth-biting into a full-time job because I can constantly feel bits of cheek peeling off.  THe roof of my mouth, inside of cheeks, and tongue are all affected and my mouth is in constant motion as a result.  That ends up causing my tongue to be irritated... vicious cycle - hoping new paste fixes things.  Tom's here I come!
Thank you everyone for your comments! I was having a problem with this and was kindof concerned as to why my mouth was "shedding". I have never had it happen before and did not know who to ask that would not think I was crazy! I looked online here and saw all the posts and now feel so much better about it. I too have just switched to crest and I am also now going to quit!  
What a relief to know that i do not have a vitamin deficiency! I have stopped using Sensodyne Whitening and this shredding of my cheek-skin has stopped.
Thanks for the info.
I've had the same problems with Crest Pro Heath.  I stopped using the toothpaste and the problem went away.  I started using Pronamel and no problems.  Then I recently decided to switch to Listerine Less Intense (from regular Listerine) and the problem of skin peeling started up again.  When I switched back to regular Listerine, the problem stopped.  So, curious as to what happened, I did a little research to see if there was a common ingredient between Crest Pro Health and Listerine Less Intense, and it appears there is a common ingredient between the two products...propylene glycol.  On the surface, the FDA claims that propylene glycol is safe in small doses, but based on what I've read, there are some risks, including skin irritation...(see link for more detail...http://www.buzzle.com/articles/propylene-glycol-dangers.html).  I now avoid as many products as possible that contain propylene glycol, unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to cut it out of your life completely, because it's in everything from deodorant to moisturizer to food.  So, I've focused on eliminating propylene glycol from all of my dental products and that seems to take care of the skin peeling.    
The same thing happened to me.  I recently started using aquafresh intense white and not only did it create a tingly stingy feeling on my tongue, it also caused the peeling effect inside my mouth about 20 minutes after brushing. It is so weird (and embarrassing).  The weird thing is that normal aquafresh and other toothpastes do not have the same effect.
so erm.. not to use non whitening toothbrush and sodium fluoride toothbrushes and we won't get this white slimy thing in our mouth?

Can someone please confirm this, thanks.
No doubt it is the toothpaste. Also toothpaste that contain scope or peroxide or baking soda can cause this It is my personal opinion that it is causing the top layer of delicate tissue inside your mouth to die and fall off. It is a disgusting experience to be sure and I recommend for those seeking advice to turn towards your  dentist or dermatologist instead of/or as well as your physician. I also think something should be filled in consumer complaints. it may even be beneficial to contact the company itself. While it is marketed as promotin good oral health I fail to see the benefit of dead skin tissue lying about in my mouth. No it is not healthy it's just disgusting.
Wow I was just looking and these complaints go all the way back to 2008 to 2012. I don't have a printer but if someone could copy all the complaints and send them in..
I was just researching why I have been getting this slimy white stuff in my mouth after brushing and came across this site. I also use Crest pro health and never made the connection that it could be the brand of toothpaste. This slime is so gross. I thought maybe i had some kind of digestive problem. Going to switch to an all natural tooth paste to see if that helps.
This is so strange! It seems everyone is saying that the Crest Pro-Health is the problem but I have never had this issue before recently using Sensodyne Extra Whitening. I did read somewhere that the Sensodyne Enamel one didn't cause this problem. I guess it is just a harsh ingredient that is causing this nasty slime! I recently paid $25 for a pack of that Sensodyne Whitening too :/ bummerrr.
I have been to a presentation by a crest spokesperson at a dental convention and she said herself that this is a common problem in people. Your mouth is basically allergic to some ingredient in their stuff. I get it too, and only when I use their product, which I got for free but this is just gross. Switch your paste it will go away.
WOW, I've been noticing this skin peeling thing happening for a while. I noticed it because after I brush I finish my make up, including lip stick. Then in the car and at work I can feel my lips sticking together and I can see this gross looking gooey skin that is just falling off the inside of my lips. I always thought it was my lipstick or something, but after reading this I'm convinced it's CREST in general! I used to use Crest Pro-Health and just finished my tube of Crest 3D White. I guess I'm going to go to the store and get some Tom's of Maine, even though I think that stuff is so disgusting. It's a shame I just bought a new 3D white the other day! :(
I got the same skin (tissue) peeling off thing when I started using Listerine mouthwash. So it is definitely not just the CREST. I wonder if this is going to continue or, if it is a good thing that our inner skin in the mouth is replacing faster to promote gum health?! I have only used the listerine for 3 days so far.  Anyone has got answers from CREST or from Listerine yet?
Ive had the problem but have never use crest.  I use colgate luminous with enamel strengthening which seems to be a common issue in this whole thread.  I don't think I'll be using this stuff anymore.
I realized that the skin on the inside of my lips had been irritated for a while.  When I went to my dermatologist, the first question was Do you wear a nighttime retainer?   He thought I was reacting to the retainer.  I did some thinking and realized all of the toothpaste I was using had whitening chemicals in it.  It is hard these days to find toothpaste without a whitener.  I was able to locate Colgate Sensitive enamel protect without whitening chemicals.  The inner lips are not perfect at the moment, but they are less sore.  I am going to give it time to settle down.  It did not really make sense that my nighttime retainer was causing the problem.  
This happened to me about 3 years ago. I started using all natural toothpaste such as Toms Of Maine and I no longer suffered from the "mouth peel". A few days ago I ran out of my natural toothpaste and I started using a regular drugstore toothpaste that I had and my mouth and lips peeled once again. So make the switch people! And see for yourself :)
The exact same thing happened to me! I never had this problem until I used Crest Pro Health so I stopped using it but I still get the white slime no matter what toothpaste I use! No more chapsticks or lipsticks for me either! I curse the day I ever tried that Crest Pro Health!!!! I've been pulling slime out of my mouth for about 10 minutes already this morning and It's BEYOND irritating! Sorry you have to go through this too!!!
I tried that toothpaste too after I stopped using the Crest Pro Health and had the same issue. It doesn't matter what toothpaste I use now, the slime still appears! Wish I would have NEVER used that Crest Pro Health because now I can't find a single toothpaste that doesn't make that disgusting slime happen. The same slime thing happened to my mom and dad when the tried Crest Pro Health for the first time. Their dentist told them that the toothpaste causes the bacteria to vacate the mouth which is good but manifests itself in a nasty white slime! Somebody...anybody...let me know if you find a toothpaste that doesn't cause the white slime please. Thank you!
I am also having this problem of loose skin inside my mouth after brushing my teeth. It all started when i made a switch from Colagte to CREST PRO HEALTH whitening tooth paste. I been using this Crest toothpaste for past 1 month and besides sloughing of skin, my GLANDS UNDER THE TONGUE are swollen and maybe becoming infected. I am not sure whether its the formula of paste or something else.  I def. relate this problem to CREST tooth paste and some one needs to REPORT as i m gonna also after seeing the dentist. Definitely looking into Toms of Maine as posts suggests.
I have been having this same problem for awhile now, but I use Aquafresh. I notice it when I wake up before I brush my teeth and after I brush. This morning when I woke up it was "a lot" of skin that peeled. I only saw a few comments where people was using Aquafresh. I use I stopped using Crest because it didn't lather enough, the Aquafresh does. But I'm going to stop using it and try Tom's or something else. Does anyone know if it lathers really good?
It has to be the Crest Pro Health toothpaste. I have never had it happen to me until I started using it. My mouth peels every time I brush with it. I actually googled it to see if anyone else was having this issue. Crest Pro Health seems to be the culprit. I think I will try the Toms of Maine toothpaste everyone seems to be recommending.
Th best thing to do is change your toothpaste. If the condition doesnt improve then visit your doctor and consult them on what needs to be done.
Check out this website:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cosmetics/crest.html

A lawsuit for the rinse is underway, and i don't think a lawsuit for the paste is very far off.
It's the whitening agent in the toothpaste, doesn't matter what brand.
Toothpaste is like many other products on the market today - the manufacturers are always adding more ingredients to make their products "new and improved". I can hardly chew gum today without gagging. Anyway, when it comes to toothpaste, hunt to find the old, plain Jane types with less added ingredients like tarter control and whitening agents. Less is better. I have the best luck with AquaFresh.
I just brushed my teeth and flossed.  I noticed bumpy feeling on the inside of my mouth, near both lips and cheek feeling numb, a few minutes later, there was a weird thing i felt on the inside of my mouth, and it was a clear slimy skin.  soooo gross and I was so scared that I may have a disease.  Thank goodness that I found this thread, and realized it all came from the crest prohealth toothpaste that I have switched to.  (5 months)  I am very surprised to find out this product causes so many problems and  yet it is still in the market since this original thread started in 2007.  That's 6 years, and nothing was done, they just let more people suffer through it.  I will go and buy the natural toothpaste.  Thank you all for posting
Crest Pro-Health, and other Crest Pro Series toothpastes cause CHEMICAL BURNING and mucosal sloughing in many of my patients. As a dental provider, I advise against the use of anything with alcohol, peroxide or any Crest Pro/3D-Products. I have also noted some sloughing from desensitizing pastes, and occasionally, Colgate Total (triclosan).

Recently, I emailed Procter & Gamble regarding the alarming numbers of patients I see with mucosal sloughing, and the common denominator is almost alway Crest Pro products. I was advised by a P&G rep that CPH simply accelerates the rate of natural tissue sloughing. However, if one is brushing 3 times daily and the outer layer of oral mucosa is sloughing each time, this in NOT natural, this is a reaction to trauma. (Imagine if your skin peeled daily from sunburn. Not a good thing....)

Keep it simple; daily sulcular brushing with fluoride toothpaste (without all the extras), proper daily flossing, alcohol free fluoride rinse and regular dental care! You can save a lot of money and improve your oral health.

Be aware of your oral condition(s) and always ask questions at your dental visits! That is what we are here for! Ask your dental providers to demonstrate proper brushing and flossing for you in your own mouth and allow you to practice under observation. This is how I get optimal result for my patients :D
I just used Crest Pro Health that I got in a little tube from...DUN, DUN, DUUUNNN....MY DENTIST!  My mouth has never peeled SO MUCH in my whole life.  I feel like 3 layers have came off.  I am so PISSED that this company knowingly allows this product to remain on the market.  I normally use Tom's of Maine fluoride free simply white toothpaste, or Earthpaste and they NEVER do this.  My mouth feels clean, healthy and the little bit of baking soda helps to keep the teeth white.  I will NEVER...I repeat...NEVER use a Crest product again for the rest of my life.  One time was one time too many.  To all you folks blaming your electric toothbrushes, menopause, candida, etc., STOP!  It's the damn Crest Pro Health.  STOP USING IT!!!!
I have the same problem using crest pro toothpaste. I showed to my dentist but he was not sure why? But now I read all the comment I know why.  I'm buying tomorrow new toothpaste most probably Tim's . Thanks for help everybody
Wow, I cant believe this.  I am having the same problems as we speak and I just started using Crest Pro Health about 2 week ago.
I use Crest Pro-Health clinical gum protection and yes this happens to me, it is the toothpaste, I do not know if it is cause for alarm but it is highly annoying and disgusting, but when i use arm&hammer sensitive toothpaste this does not happen. Try using arm&hammer sensitive toothpaste from the makers of orajel.
The problem of the skin peeling in the mouth is caused by the hydrogen peroxide, in any, and all, toothpastes.  Many, many years ago, people used hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash.  Using it always caused the skin, in my mouth, to peel.  Over the years, I never had the peeling in my mouth, unless I used the hydrogen peroxide, as a mouthwash.  Now, since everyone wants whiter teeth, and hydrogen peroxide is a bleach, it has been added to many toothpastes.  The hydrogen peroxide, in the toothpaste, is causing the peeling.
I've had this weird problem too for the past year, I really thought it was some nasty fungus problem and didn't understand why. I'm so glad I finally googled on it and found this site with all the comments about the Crest. And yes!!! That's the paste I've been using this whole year since I bought a few tubes on sale. I threw it away immediately and went down to Walgreens and bought a tube of Tom's. I really hope it solves this annoying and gross problem. The inside of my lips are always burning and always after brushing I peel this white, slimy gunk off of the inside of my mouth. I always check before I go out so I don't have any disgusting white gunk on my lips. I hope I haven't done any lasting damage to my gums. I totally agree Crest should put this on their boxes as a warning. And I'm 100% sure they're very much aware of this. I'm going to email them as well. I'm pretty upset since I've been worrying I might been sick somehow this whole year!
I am getting sick sitting here reading all of these posts!   I have had this for years.   I also use Crest Pro Health whitening toothpaste and other whitening toothpastes as well as Listerine whitening mouthwash.   Does anyone ever get to the point where their throat feels raw all the time?   I also get nauseous.   I love keeping my teeth white but this is too much and gross!   I always had this inkling...but what are you going to do?  Stop brushing?   Am going to the doctors next Monday.  I had a cyst show up in my throat (which I had to have surgically removed 1.5 hrs); they couldn't explain what was the cause and said it may come back.   The peeling started in me quite a few years back as the whitening formulas evolved and I have always been a Crest fan.....this is crazy!
I have had the same thing happen to me off and on. Through my own research, if you use whitening products (toothpaste, whitening rinses etc...) it can create this jelly like residue in your mouth(lips, gum area etc...) I think it has something to do with the hydrogen peroxide in the products. Hope this helps!
omg, I just googled for the same reason --- and lo and behold I just switched from my usual Crest to the Pro Health variety! That's definitely the cause here. How many more people need to say it? I thought my lips were more chapped or something too.. but I wake up with it too - and the last thing I do before bed is brush my teeth!
I have the same problem but no one seems to know what is causing the problem.
I have endured years of mouth shedding in the pursuit of Whiter teeth.  
The reaction has spread to the sides of my mouth and chin and now everything I use aggravates the surrounding skin.  The problem is acute!
Cortisone, antibiotics, antifungals etc. have all failed to make a difference.  I have switched toothpastes dozens of times to no avail.  I am now at a loss.
Word to the wise...continued exposure can cause severe chronic problems.
Sadly the struggle goes on...
I have the same skin peeling when I use the sensodyne brand and the Colgate Sensitivity toothpaste. I have never tried the Crest Pro-Health brand (that I can remember) but I have tried many other brands and not had the peeling problem. I just bought the Crest 3D Whitening tooth paste for sensitive teeth. I have been using it for two weeks and no skin peeling at all! This problem is just too weird. I have to use sensitivity toothpaste or my teeth hurt me really bad. It seems that this Crest 3D toothpaste does take care of the sensitivity without the nasty peeling after effect. I cant believe that I dealt with the peeling for so long! I just never made the connection!
I have the same problem with peeling of the skin in the inside of my mouth and now on my gums. I saw my a Dermatologist from Yale New Haven Hospital who specializes in disorders of the mouth. He stated that I have Lichen Planus, which has nothing to do with toothpaste. You can get this anywhere on your body, and unfortunately it is very hard to treat when it attacks the inside of your mouth. The bad part is that the medicine he put me on did nothing. It was a mouth wash. I them went to my Periodontitis who took me to an Oral Pathologist at Yale New Haven Hospital. I was not happy with her findings she did not see a problem with the peeling only that I had a yeast infection under my tongue. So, unfortunately I am still suffering with this awful condition. I will be seeking another opinion. But believe me it has nothing to do with TOOTHPASTE. But it does not hurt to use Tom's or Sensodyne, or Rembrandt. I like Tom's myself. Stop wasting your time with all the talk about toothpaste that is not causing your issue. Go see a good oral surgeon, or a oral pathologist or a better dentist. Or some doctor who knows about Lichen Planus.
yes, I use "Crest pro-health whitening" and "Sensodyne".  And I am in the perimenopausal age (47).  I get same symptoms with Sensodyne, white deposit occurs inside of my mouth after brushing.

NOTE:
We all have to stop using market products and return to old fashion remedies preparations.

this is the only way to survive... Do not you see, money makers just killing us slowly...