Dental Health Expert Forum
Small 'ridge' in mouth, what could it be?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

18 years old, occasional drinker, never smoked.

On the roof of my mouth (palate), I have a small (1cm) section of skin that I can feel with my toungue, and is a little bit raised.

It is not ulcerated, and doesn't even appear to be very discolored. The edges are a little discolored, but that may be from me touching it with my tounge non stop.

The dentist who has felt it said there is no mass behind it. It appeared to him to just be a differentation in tissue. The tissue there is in fact softer.

3 doctors (Maxilloficial, Physician, Dentist) have all looked in there and said "Doesn't appear to be anything to me!"

I'm very prone to anxiety when it comes to my health, and can't figure out what this little thing could be. A teacher of mine was recently diagnosed with oral cancer, so it made me pay a bit more attention to the thing in my mouth.

Any advice?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I think you have done the correct thing and if it is their opinion that it is nothing to be concerned about then relax and enjoy your life. There is nothing wrong with you being observant with things related to your healh.
Also: It doesnt seem to me to be one of this "bony structures" i've read about.