Dental Health Community
Small white spot on side of tongue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Small white spot on side of tongue?

8863214?1361346563
I noticed a small white spot on the side of my tongue, about halfway between the tip & base of the tongue. It appears to be under the skin, unlike any canker sore I have ever had. There is some pain that is similar to a canker, but not as prevalent. If I run my finger over it, I can feel that it is slightly raised, but (again) not as much as a canker.

I've attached a photo. It is kind of hard to see, but this is the best I could get.

Thank you for any information.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It may not be possible to confirm the cause merely on the basis of a picture. For correct diagnosis and management a clinical examination is extremely necessary .Inflamed papillae can sometimes cause small, painful bumps on the top surface or upper sides of your tongue. Any accidental bite can also cause temporary swelling and pain along one side of your tongue. A skin disorder called lichen planus can begin as bumps that progress to form painless white streaks. Another possibility is canker sore. The best treatment for this bump on the side of your tongue depends on the underlying cause of this problem. If it is due to inflamed papillae and lichen planus it may heal on its own otherwise you may need antibiotics or oral antifungal agents. See a doctor and get a clinical examination done. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best wishes and kind regards!