Dental Health Expert Forum
Smell and pressure coming from Crown gum line

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I have been having some dull pain and smell coming from one of my crowns.  When I floss it on the back side, the floss sometimes gets caught and splinters.  Does this mean that there is a crack in the cement and saliva is getting in to the post?  My dentist looked at it said he is not sure what is wrong with it (he doesn't see anything on x-ray and the gum looks healthy).  But I know that you can't see through crowns.  He said he can cut it off "if I want".  What kind of answer it that?  If I want?  I don't know if I want that, I just want it fixed.  I am diligent about flossing it and I even use peridox for it and it still comes back.

Do you think there is a crack in the cement or maybe the post is decayed?

Thanks for your help!

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Does the tooth have root canal therapy?  Sounds like there is decay at the margin or under the crown.  I would have the crown taken off and check for decay.  Good luck.
No, this tooth does not have a root canal... unfortunately.  That is one thing I have learned the hard way.  I now always get root canals with a crown, no matter how well they are done, they always seem to hurt sooner or later if I dont't get a root canal.  

Thanks, I am going in tomorrow, looks like they will be cutting it off.

Is your tooth sensitive to hot food or drinks? How long have you had the crown? On the x-ray your dentist should be able to see the margin of the crown. On your x-ray the crown part will look white and then you will see the root of your tooth that is just normal looking. If there is a dark area between where the crown meets the root on the x-ray it could indicate an open margin or that there is decay. When you look in your mouth do you see the crown and then it just goes straight to the gum or do you see the crown and then tooth structure and then your gums? Maybe you have been brushing too hard and some of your root is exposed which can be very painful. Maybe you should have your dentist probe your periodontal ligament. This is the area around your tooth. If you have a deep pocket it maybe packing food and your gums might just be kind of yuck. Maybe your dentist could remove the crown and make the margin further down to cover more tooth structure if there are any deep gum pockets around there. Don't just jump in and have a root canal done because that just weekens your tooth. How old are you? Have you had your wisdom teeth taken out? Have you used floss called super floss? This is a little bit fluffier than regular floss and cleans a little better around there. Your dentist can do pulp test or send you to a endodontist they specialize in those. Good luck! Sorry not much help it is hard to visualize this through words and not being able to look at it!
A related discussion, laser treatment around crown area causing odor was started.