Dental Health Expert Forum
Smooth patch on tongue?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Smooth patch on tongue?

I have a spot on the dorsal surface of my tongue, sort of near the back and off to the side, where occasionally I will develop a red patch that looks smoother than the rest of my tongue. It goes away and recurs every few weeks or so, and it's always the same shape/size and always in the same spot.

What are the possible causes of this, and do I need to see a specialist? Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like it could be geographic tongue.  It is a variation of normal that occcurs in a small percentage of the population.  It is a benign condition and does not  require treatment.  Without seeing the area, I can not give a definitive diagnosis, therefore it would be wise to have it looked at by a dentist or an oral surgeon.