Dental Health Expert Forum
Soft lump on my lower Jawbone?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Soft lump on my lower Jawbone?

Hello
I had a root canal about 3 weeks ago which went well. No pain now, everything fine. There was lot's of pain before I had it done though and I took anti inflammatories that helped it. I have lost about 2 stone last few months purely due to eating healthy. I noticed a soft lump on my lower jawbone( under the skin right hand side slightly lower than my ear) which feels like it is coming from under the jawbone and then it goes up my cheek about one inch, so tear shaped. It moves slightly when I touch it.Feels stringy. Never noticed it before. What could this be? Are there tendons in this part of the jaw? It does not hurt, although it has become slightly tender because I have been poking it. I am quite thin faced so maybe all I am feeling is a muscle or tendon? I do also get a mouth ulcer in same place on bottom of my tongue near tip when I get low or stressed about 3-4 times a year, have one now.

Any advice on this would be great.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It's hard to tell without seeing you, but sounds like normal anatomy.  To be sure have it looked at by a dentist or oral surgeon.
I have hard small lumps on the under-tongue where the duct lining and middle of the under tongue (that flap that kind of holds the tongue in place) since last Sunday-9 days ago.

I also have a lump below my left jaw line that swelled that night that I noticed the hard nodules under my tongue. I have been very tired since then.

My mom also said that my cheeks look bigger than normal..more like the jaw line - above it - and i feel no pain there. But I do feel pain on the nodules and the lump on the left side of the neck. The lump is a bit painful.

It seems to be worse after eating.  

I saw a doctor twice last week and they both mentioned lymph node swelling and a virus condition. They also admitted that when a doctor does not know what something is they will classify it a viral condition until the point it doesn't go away.
Better add I am female, non smoker, 35 years old. Regarding the ulcer, my tongue feels tender day before, then small  grey area appears, then it turns into what looks like a clear blister about 2mm across. I normally pop it( accidently) when I eat and this continues for 2-3 days, then it vanishes for a few months.Leaves no scars. Last had ulcer start of Nov when my mum moved abroad. Please can a doctor give me advice on both things,
Just add I have had this ulcer thing about 17 months now on and off. Does stress cause it as it always seems to appear during stressful times? Appears on holiday and during stress it seems.
Hello
I saw my brother a few days ago and he has the same soft lump on his jawbone too. So I guess it is just part of me. How I am. I will show it to my dentist though on my next visit( about one months time)
Rach