Dental Health Expert Forum
Sore, puffy mouth tissue after crown placement

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had my permanent crown placed 10 days ago.  . This was a tooth that had deep decay beneath an old filling.  She said it was close to the root, but didn't do a root canal at this time.  I went to have the bite adjusted twice since it was too high, and now the bite seems okay...  it's slightly painful if I bite down hard though.

But for the past few days the inside of my mouth - cheeks, lips, back of throat - have felt puffy and irritated.  Certain foods even burn the back of my throat.   I can tell that everything is slighly swollen.    

I went to the dentist 2 days ago to have it checked, and she said the crown & gums look fine.  She poked at the gums around the crown a bit & this caused some bleeding.  She said there might have been a bit of cement or something in there (that may have come out on its own) but she thought I was all clear.

My gums do appear normal in color & size, although sore near the crown site (maybe cuz she was poking in there).  No bleeding when I brush.

She gave me a dental rinse RX & told me to call in a few days.

I'm also feeling itchy & dry on my face & body, but that could be due to nerves & my thyroid problems.  But it sure seems strange that this all started 5 days after the crown went in.

I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I have placed many crowns in my career and I have never had those symtoms (symptoms) related to the placement of a crown. There is always the possibility that you are allergic to the metal that is present in the crown. I think this is far fetched because the tissue around the crown would be very inflamed and this does not seem to be the situation. It sounds like it is coincidential.
Just an additional note - now I am feeling some pain in my mouth & jaw area where the crown was placed. Also, the gum is swollen near my wisdom tooth, which is two teeth behind where the crown was placed.  Not red or anything, but puffy & tender.
regarding the wisdom tooth, it may be periocorinitis unrelated to the crown placement.
if the tissue around the crown is inflamed, it is probably due to either cement under the tissue, or a crown whose margins (edges) are placed too far below the gumline. If your symptoms persist, I'd see a periodontist who has no connection to the dentist who placed the crown-- this way you'll get an unbiased opinion.
Thank you to both of you for responding, I greatly appreciate your help.