Dental Health Expert Forum
Sore, swollen tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Sore, swollen tongue
Hello, not sure if this is the right place, but it's the closest I could find.

About 4 weeks ago, I had what I thought was strep throat (very sore swollen throat, a slightly swollen tongue, fever, muscle aches, headache, hoarse voice, difficulty/pain swallowing). I was given antibiotics and felt better for about a week after but now my tongue is bothering me. Also note: I never had strep, I just found out the swab was negative.

Symptoms:
- Swollen tongue, sometimes whole thing, sometimes feels like just the back/base part or just one side.
- Sore tongue, mostly at the back/base and gets worse when swallowing.
- Tongue pain--I don't mean soreness, it's a sharper pain, and it seems to always run down one side of the tongue or the other; ie the left side will hurt for a few hours, then it moves to the right side. Worse when I move my tongue around or swallow.
- A bit of hoarse voice; I don't know if it's related or not, but it never completely went away after my initial illness.

Symptoms are always worse in the morning when I wake up and seem to get a bit better during the day after drinking lots of water etc.

My GP basically said my tongue looks "a bit beefier" than normal but she didn't seem concerned at all and said it could be basically anything causing it. She told me to use listerine for a week and see if it goes away, but I've been using it for 3 days and had no improvement.

19yo male, smoker for 3yrs, not on any prescriptions, diagnosed with GERD 1 year ago but it doesn't bother me hardly at all anymore.

What could be causing this?

I am not sure what this could be. My suggestion is see either an oral surgeon or an oral pathologist.The pathologist is usually associated with a teaching hospital.
Did you ever get an anwser? I have exactly the same symptoms...
Help. Me too. If anyone has gotten any GOOD medical advice about this problem, please post it. I have the EXACT same issues with my tongue. I'm a singer and it's really affecting my ability to perform =( Anyone study the possibilty of it being a Candida imbalance?
I have been having the same problems for 6 weeks. My GP does not know what it is, I was diagnosed with thrush but I knew this was wrong. I saw another GP and she did a swab which came back normal, she also prescribed a throat spray, all this did was cause me extreme pain. She is now referring me to the hospital, no doubt I will wait months for the appointment.
I just had tooth work done 3 dyas ago. Before I had my tooth work done I had a sore tongue but now I can not stick out my tongue very far and open my mouth. I hope someone can help me out with an answer.
A related discussion, Sore tongue was started.
A related discussion, swollen Tongue ringing in ears was started.