Dental Health Expert Forum
Sore Teeth after Cleaning
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sore Teeth after Cleaning

I just had my teeth cleaned at a dentist office last Thursday.  The hygienist took 2 hours to scrape the tartar as it's been awhile since I've been to the dentist. She said there was some gum recession.  I've always been diligent about brushing daily, but not flossing.  Since she cleaned them, I've been flossing daily to prevent any further gum recession or gum disease.

I've noticed since the cleaning that my teeth have an overall light soreness to them - like a general knawing feeling throughout that is difficult to describe.  Sometimes, I feel a bit of light throbbing, but not the painful type.  They're not giving me pain and they don't hurt to eat or bite down.

Is this normal after a heavy cleaning?  Is it possible that all of that lengthy tenacious scraping could have irritated the pulp or nerves inside of my teeth?  It's been 6 days so far.

Thanks in advance!