Dental Health Community
Sore tooth after root canal and crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Sore tooth after root canal and crown

This whole process began in late November.  I began feeling pain in a lower molar when I would bite down.  After seeing my dentist, he informed me that I needed a root canal and a crown.  Throughout the entire process, the tooth has never felt normal.  My dentist kept telling me, "It's (old filling, temp crown, and now new crown) a little high," and then he would trim it down.  The permanent crown was put on three weeks ago.  I went to the dentist one week ago becuase the tooth is still sore- sore to the touch and it hurts to chew on something hard.  I would describe it as feeling the way it feels when you touch a bruise.  It also seems heat sensitive.  I returned to the dentist Saturday to see an "associate" of my dentist.  He took and x-ray and told me the root canal looked good and the seal on the crown was good.  He told me I needed to talk to my dentist.  It was as if he didn't want to get involved.  He wasn't helpful at all.  So, I have another appt. with my dentist on Tuesday.  Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with my tooth?  It's very frustrating.  Thanks for any help!
Sounds like your bone was never given a chance to properly heal.  The permanent crown should not have been put on until your pain went away.  If nothing else, the temporary should have been taking out of your occlusion so your tooth would get some relief.

You should talk to your dentist in detail about it as you have a new permanent crown on.  My only advice is to try to eat on the other side to allow the bone to heal.
A root-canaled tooth is generally unresponsive to thermal stimulus. However, a suboptimally  obturated canal may respond to heat stimulus occasionally. You may need to see an endodontist to evaluate the canal. If your dentist can not adjust the bite properly, you may need to see an occlusionist or prosthodontist.