Dental Health Expert Forum
Space between neighboring teeth
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Space between neighboring teeth

My child is 3 and a half years old. She has not sufficient number of teeths in the upper part. That is why, there are spaces between neighboring teeths. Is it a problem ? If yes, what should be the correction procedure?
Related Discussions
540545_tn?1377626518
How many teeth in total does your child have?  You should should have approximately 20 teeth at this age.

3 Comments
Blank
She has nine teeth in the upper part that is one less than usual. I noticed that the missing tooth is in front of the upper part. Among the four front teeth (i.e. normal) in the upper part, there is only three ( one absent) and there are gaps between them. The missing tooth did not grow in.
Blank
540545_tn?1377626518
I wouldn't worry about her missing baby teeth as it would have normally have fallen out at age 6-7 and replaced by an adult tooth.  There isn't any correction unless it is a cosmetic problem.  

My concern is that you want to make sure there's an adult tooth underneath and that the baby tooth isn't stuck or blocked.  Seeing a dentist and having an x-ray taken would be a good idea.

The spacing isn't a bad thing.  The adult teeth take up more room and so there is a natural spacing in kids teeth.  If she has sufficient space, she may not need braces or not need braces as long because there's more room so less crowding.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now