Dental Health Community
Steroids and pain after crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Steroids and pain after crown

I had a porcelain crown put in in early July.  It immediately did not feel right and always felt too large for the area even after having the dentist adjust the bite.  Several days after having the crown on (the crown is on the upper right, second tooth from the back) a "pressure" and sensitivity appeared over my front teeth area; no pain where the actual crown was.  Feels like someone pressing down on the teeth hard.  After another adjustment that didn't work, the dentist took out the crown and ordered me a new one which he hoped would fit better.

It took a couple of days with the new temporary crown back on before the pressure and pain to my front teeth went completely away.

Now it is 3 weeks later and the second new porcelain crown is on - got it on 5 days a ago.  I thought everything was fine because no problems, it felt good or shall I say I didn't feel it at all.  Now, the same "pressure" over my front teeth has appeared.  Spoke with the dentist and he is calling me in a prescription for a steroid to see if it is some type of inflammation.

Does anyone have familiarity with what I am going through?  I have had several crowns and everything always went fine.  Does a steroid seem to be in order and are there any concerns with taking this?  I really want to get this problem solved.  The best way for me to try to describe what it feels like would be that I had been in an auto accident and my mouth hit the front dash.  

Thank you very much.
Going back to your dentist to have more occlusal adjustment of new crown is advised.
Thank you for your advice.  Are you a dentist by any chance?  If so, may I ask another question.  I am planning on going to a second dentist as soon as possible for a consult and to see if another adjustment is the issue.  I closely examined my front teeth, the area where I have dull pain.  I am fairly certain that my right front tooth has now shifted and is turned somewhat and sticking up.  That would explain why there is pain in this area.  Is this possible - teeth shifting several days after the placement of a porcelain crown?  I mentioned this to the dentist over the phone and he said that it is not possible, but myself and my family members say that the front teeth have shifted.  Would appreciate your opinion.  Thank you.