Dental Health Community
Sticky Teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Sticky Teeth

On the back of my two front teeth there is a very sticky substance that I can feel when I chatter my teeth together. I have an overbite so the enamel is very thin on the back of my upper incisors(where the sticky is) and on the fron of the lowers. I thought maybe the dentin was causing the sticky, but it was only on one tooth, now it has spread to both front uppers. Brushing doesn't help, grinding pumice powder doesn't help, nor does Listerine. I use a floride gel toothpaste and prior to that I used toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and changing toothpaste hasn't helped.
I did ask my dentist (who is my boss) and he couldn't tell me what it was, as he couldn't see anything. Anyone know what this might be? I've got into the habit of chattering my toeeth on the sticky all day and it's making my teeth sore.
Tags: Teeth, sticky
I also have sticky teeth. it all sounds the same as yours except mine is affecting all my upper left teeth. I have found no answers. I have Esophogial Reflux Disorder. I have assumed this is related to the teeth thing. It is driving me nuts and I am afraid it is very hard on my teeth. I pick all day.  
If the substance is extrinsic to the tooth structure, it's probably calculus,which can be easily removed by cleaning procedure.
I have exactly what you have and can find no answers. I have picked my upper gum away from my teeth. I have been told that perhaps I have silent reflux and this is a symptom but Prilosec did nothing for my teeth thing. I am crazed and have found no answers. I am looking into heavy metals and chelation treatment to see if that helps. Good luck to us. I am not sure this is dental though it started with a tooth extraction for me.
Oh how wonderful to find a group of people with the same problem as me! I am in the UK  and am a pensioner so, thankfully, I get all my dental work for free. I have seen around eight specialists in oral care so far and not one of them know what the problem is except that my teeth are sticky. My stickiness is on a bridge of three teeth so they are not even real teeth and its driving me insane. The stickiness almost pours from these teeth. The roots of these crowns look perfect on the x-ray. I was interested to read musewilfe's comment about silent reflux because I think I suffer from this too. Just maybe there is a connection. Should I ever find some answers, then I'll post them up.  Next specialist appointment is in six weeks. Fingers crossed!
I have the same problem and nothing works as you described Except one thing mine began with a bout of Shingles due to vitamin b deficiency what do you think ? driving me nuts and nothing changes it !
http://www.knowyourdisease.com/treatment-of-stomatodynia.html this could be it ? but it's not the best news as it is quite rare with varying treatments and symptons
Wow, I never thought that there are other people who are having the same problem as I do!
I was a bit frustrated explaining to my dentist, and he looked so confused, because he couldn't see a thing. I've tried looking for this on Google, got no luck either..
Hi there,
gummy fish, your post is a few years old, did you find an answer to your problem? I have EXACTLY the same !!!!
My problems started as I had my amalgam replaced by "white fillings", on the upper right.
Interesting, I have also barrett's esophagus, maybe there is a connection.

Appreciate a reply from anybody. I have this VERY annoying problem now for 3 years.
from the website you suggested, only:

Irritating dentures. Dentures may place stress on some of the muscles and tissues of your mouth. The materials used in dentures also may irritate the tissues in your mouth.

would apply to my problem.