Dental Health Community
Still Experiencing Pain After Crowns and Root Canals

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I've had a series of four crowns (inlays actually) done in January-February.  Two on back upper left and back upper right (left side first, then right side).  I had a root canal done after the temporaries on the left side and then a root canal on the right after the temporaries.  I was in severe pain for he better part of the two months (some of the worst I think I've ever experienced) not to mention severe gastrointestinal complications from the antibiotics.

Finally after having set the final crown things were supposed to settle down.  But I have been unable to chew on one side because it is very sensitive.  It has not decreased in sensitivity over the past few months.  Too, when I brush my teeth (I use a Sonicare brush) I experience some pretty sharp pain when running the brush over the teeth that were crowned.  They are also very very sensitive to hot and cold, making it difficult to eat as my front teeth used to be the only sensitive ones.  Now it's my whole mouth.  Also, I think my last crown was not set correctly - feels like it's in crooked compared to what the tooth used to be (my mouth was numb at the time so I was unable to tell while in the chair).

I just don't know what to do. Of course I want to go to the dentist, but because of the unexpected root canals, I have gone several thousand dollars over my dental benefits and cannot afford to pay out of pocket.  Is it reasonable to expect any charges associated with a follow-up visit due to the pain I'm experiencing with my dentist's work to be waived by him?

This discussion is related to Root canal & crown still hurts 6 mos. later.
Going back to your restorative dentist to have occlusal adjustment is advised.