Dental Health Expert Forum
Still in pain 3 weeks after tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi..

I had an upper wisdom tooth extracted about 3 weeks ago. And i still am having severe pain around the area. and spreading to several top teeth and even some bottom ones. The pain is excruciating, and advil or tylenol will not help one bit. I returned to the dentist 10 days after the extraction to see if possibly i had a dry socket and she said no, it looked good. When i look at it..it looks very very white around the area and gum. The only thing that brings a little relief is when i swish vigorously with cool water. And the pain is worse when laying down. I have had no sleep, and feel like i am going crazy with this pain. Could it be coming from a different tooth? or maybe a nerve got damaged? thank you for any advice.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It does sound like it is a nerve problem in another tooth close by. The symptoms that you are describing are ones you would see with a non-vital(dead nerve) tooth. The acute pain that you are feeling at this point doesn't seem to jive with the the extracted tooth.You should not be in this much discomfort.Get another opinion.
I still have on and off  throbing  pain  after my tooth extraction 2-1/2 weeks ago. I have noticed that If i risnse  and flush that area it seems to be ok.. I t must be  food or something suck in that area. I am worried that my other tooth next to the extraction may also be in fected. I hope that is not the case for you or me. Can I ask if you have had any headaches or swelling? my inner cheek was really swollen a fter the second day. and seems to  be causing my neck and back of head to ache.

Oh...i just wish this was over!!
tried of the pain ...since April of 05 I really  thought after the extraction I would be cured ;-)  It just seems like it is turning into a chain of events.