Dental Health Expert Forum
Still pain after one month extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Still pain after one month extraction

After one month I am still having pain. The oral surgeon has givin me two packs of antibiotics and now says that he may have to shave the bone. What does that exactly mean and how would that allleviate the pain?
If you had an extraction done, the bone underneath the area could be sharp or there could be some small pieces which are sharp and cutting the gums, causing pain.  He may need to go in there to smooth out the bone or move these pieces.

Thank you Doctor Tsang for your informative response. In the event the doctor does go in and smooth out the bone, is that painful? I assume he has to cut into the extraction area? Thanks again.
Depends on how large the area is.  I would say it wouldn't be too bad.  He will have to numb you though to do the procedure but the healing could potentially be fast.
The Oral surgeon cut the gum and shaved the bone about 10 days ago. After the procedure I was in a great deal of pain for a tleast 3 days. It has now subsided but there still remains the orginal pain before the procedure. Will this pain ever go away or am I doomed for another type of procedure?Thank so much Dr Tsang
Sorry.  I'm surprised the pain is still present after the procedure.  You should contact your oral surgeon and find out what they recommend doing.  Shaving the bone should have solved the problem if there was some sharp bone underneath the area.